Category Archives: Gordon

Dining: After 30 years in Cartersville, Los Reyes Mexican Restaurant to close its doors March 11. Dalton restaurant to remain open.

Dining: After 30 years in Cartersville, Los Reyes Mexican Restaurant to close its doors March 11. Dalton restaurant to remain open.

After 30 years in business, Los Reyes Mexican Restaurant in Cartersville will be closing its doors on March 11, 2018. Owner Christian Martin plans to keep the Dalton restaurant, located at 1235 Cleveland Hwy., open. Martin posted this message to customers late Saturday: To our customers, My name is Christian Martin. I am the current owner… Read more

Share Button
Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Up to 40% rain chance today, high near 65. Rain in forecast everyday this week.

Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Up to 40% rain chance today, high near 65. Rain in forecast everyday this week.

  OUTLOOK After a high of 72 degrees on Saturday, look for high near 65 today with 20-40% rain chance. There is a chance of rain everyday this week, including a chance of thunderstorms Wednesday and Thursday as a strong upper level disturbance moves into Georgia. Otherwise, no hazardous weather is expected. FORECAST Sunday: A 20… Read more

Share Button
Chick-fil-A Dwarf House Sports: Darlington, Rockmart, Cartersville and Trion advance in state basketball tourney. Victories for both Berry teams, start SAA tournament play on Friday. Other college sports updates.

Chick-fil-A Dwarf House Sports: Darlington, Rockmart, Cartersville and Trion advance in state basketball tourney. Victories for both Berry teams, start SAA tournament play on Friday. Other college sports updates.

HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS SPORTS HEADLINES: Rome native and Darlington graduate Brad Bohannon is off to a 2-0 start in his first season as the Head Baseball Coach at the University of Alabama after beating Valparaiso on Friday and Saturday. Alabama Today’s GHC Baseball game has been moved… Read more

Share Button
Obituaries: Audrey Climer, Leslie Lucas, Mrs. Beverly Fay Thomas and Mrs. Ethel Ruth Thompson

Obituaries: Audrey Climer, Leslie Lucas, Mrs. Beverly Fay Thomas and Mrs. Ethel Ruth Thompson

Mrs. Beverly Fay Thomas, 82, of Rome, passed away on Thursday, February 15, 2018 in Cedartown. She was born on March 24, 1935 in Rome, the daughter of the late James Brown Price and the late Annie Bell Scott Price. She worked for 30 years for the Probate Court and Judge Harry Johnson and then… Read more

Share Button
Heritage First Headlines: Floyd School board to discuss school safety on Tuesday. Los Reyes closing in Cartersville. My Simply Southern Home moving to Rome. Heart of the Community Awards’ photos.

Heritage First Headlines: Floyd School board to discuss school safety on Tuesday. Los Reyes closing in Cartersville. My Simply Southern Home moving to Rome. Heart of the Community Awards’ photos.

  First, fast, fair, factual and always free: Hometown Headlines. Education: Floyd County Board of Education to discuss school safety on Tuesday. All ideas “on the table” from hiring more resource officers to arming teachers to more mental health professionals. Education Dining: After 30 years in Cartersville, Los Reyes Mexican Restaurant to close its doors March… Read more

Share Button
Updated Health: Statewide flu-related deaths continue to rise with 79 confirmed so far this season.

Updated Health: Statewide flu-related deaths continue to rise with 79 confirmed so far this season.

Officials with the Georgia Department of Public Health announced that there have now been at least 79 confirmed influenza-associated deaths in Georgia this flu season, up from 66 deaths last week. According to the AJC, of the 13 new deaths this week, one was a pediatric patient. Overall, the majority of these deaths have been individuals… Read more

Share Button
Updated Health: Photo gallery from Redmond’s Loving Hearts Move event. Later today, Heart of Community Awards ceremony.

Updated Health: Photo gallery from Redmond’s Loving Hearts Move event. Later today, Heart of Community Awards ceremony.

Saturday morning’s rain and cloudy skies didn’t dampen the Loving Hearts Move event. There was a great turnout for the community walk-cycle-paddle event hosted by Redmond Regional Medical Center and the Heart of the Community Foundation at the Town Green. From Heart of the Community: “Thank you to everyone who braved the rainy, misty morning… Read more

Share Button
Fatal house fire that killed elderly Gordon County man earlier this week has been ruled accidental.

Fatal house fire that killed elderly Gordon County man earlier this week has been ruled accidental.

  Media release: Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens has ruled a Wednesday, Feb. 14 mobile home fire that claimed the life of elderly Gordon County man accidental. Killed by the fire was Alvin Leon Graham, 75. His home located at 460 Apple Road in Ranger, Ga., was destroyed by the blaze. Firefighters discovered… Read more

Share Button
Heritage First Headlines: Convenience store/deli coming to Redmond Rd. State flu-related death continue to rise. Floyd Schools investigating potentially threatening photo from Armuchee High student. More rain for weekend.

Heritage First Headlines: Convenience store/deli coming to Redmond Rd. State flu-related death continue to rise. Floyd Schools investigating potentially threatening photo from Armuchee High student. More rain for weekend.

  First, fast, fair, factual and always free: Hometown Headlines. Business: Convenience store/deli planned off Redmond across from entrance to The Spires at Berry College. Also: Updates to the continuing care retirement center’s residences.   Business Health: Statewide flu-related deaths continue to rise with 79 confirmed so far this season. Flu Floyd School officials investigating incident at Armuchee… Read more

Share Button
Business: Convenience store/deli planned off Redmond across from entrance to The Spires at Berry College. Also: Updates to the continuing care retirement center’s residences.

Business: Convenience store/deli planned off Redmond across from entrance to The Spires at Berry College. Also: Updates to the continuing care retirement center’s residences.

    As presales continue for The Spires at Berry College off of the Connector near Redmond, we’re seeing the first signs of adjacent development. Look for a “mega” convenience store near 1320 Redmond Road that will feature a sit-down deli by the folks who operate the successful one at The Rock Store off Kingston… Read more

Share Button
Chick-fil-A Dwarf House Sports: Model and UCS girls advance. First round of GHSA State Basketball tournament continues today. College hoops updates. Free soccer clinic today.

Chick-fil-A Dwarf House Sports: Model and UCS girls advance. First round of GHSA State Basketball tournament continues today. College hoops updates. Free soccer clinic today.

HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS Saturday morning update: Today’s baseball game between Darlington and Armuchee has been canceled due to weather.  HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL Girls’ scoreboard and schedule: First round match-ups for GHSA State Tournament: Please click each ‘class’ for the latest brackets from GHSA. Class 5A: Rome falls… Read more

Share Button
Obituaries: Mrs. Elizabeth W. Dixon, Mrs. Edith Odessa Mullinax, Dennis Russell Stokely, Mrs. Beverly Fay Thomas and Mr. Ralph Lee Wilson

Obituaries: Mrs. Elizabeth W. Dixon, Mrs. Edith Odessa Mullinax, Dennis Russell Stokely, Mrs. Beverly Fay Thomas and Mr. Ralph Lee Wilson

Mrs. Edith Odessa Mullinax, 88, of Cave Springs, passed away on Wednesday, February 14, 2018. She was born on November 10, 1929, the daughter of the late Otis and Inez Tucker. She attended Bush Arbor Baptist Church for years. She loved her dogs and cats. In addition to her parents she was preceded in death… Read more

Share Button
Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores.

Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores.

  FLOYD COUNTRY HOUSE BUFFET 144 HICKS DR ROME, GA 30161 View inspections: February 16, 2018 Score: 90, Grade: A HARDEE’S 2300 SHORTER AVE ROME, GA 30165 View inspections: February 16, 2018 Score: 96, Grade: A RED ROOF INN & SUITES (BREAKFAST) (Food Service Inspections) 217 HWY 411 SE ROME, GA 30161 View inspections: February… Read more

Share Button
Updated Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Sunshine and 72 degrees in Rome this afternoon. 60% rain chance this evening, no storms expected.

Updated Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Sunshine and 72 degrees in Rome this afternoon. 60% rain chance this evening, no storms expected.

OUTLOOK 4:15 p.m. update: It is now 72 degrees at Rome Airport. We have a 40-60% rain chance with evening, but no thunderstorms or severe weather is expected. FORECAST This Afternoon: A 40 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 69. Southwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Tonight: Showers… Read more

Share Button