From the Rome Braves: The Atlanta Braves have announced that Dansby Swanson is tentatively scheduled to begin a rehab assignment tonight with Rome Braves. Gates open at 6 p.m., first pitch at 7 p.m. Swanson was placed on the disabled list on May 4 with left wrist inflammation. He last played on May 2 when he exited late in the game with a sore wrist.
- Swanson’s Current and Career Statistics
- Year AB R H HR RBI SB AVG OBP OPS
- 2018 Stats 114 13 33 2 13 2 .289 .336 .766
- MLB Career 731 92 185 11 81 8 .253 .324 .686
Tickets for tonight’s game as well as the home stand can be purchased at the State Mutual Stadium ticket office or by phone at 706-378-5144. Tickets can also be purchased online at romebraves.com.
Berry College Athletics announces that the department has entered into an exclusive, multiyear partnership with BSN SPORTS to serve as the official Nike outfitter of the Vikings. Under the agreement, Nike and BSN SPORTS will provide apparel, footwear, equipment and uniforms for Berry’s varsity athletics programs. All team uniforms will be cycled into the Nike brand through the life of the contract.
“We are excited to be partnering with BSN and Nike in supporting our student-athletes,” Berry Athletics Director Todd Brooks said. “Nike continues to be a benchmark for innovation and technology when it comes to athletic apparel, footwear, and equipment. This partnership will prove extremely beneficial to our student-athletes.”
“The partnership agreement between Berry College, BSN SPORTS and Nike is a great example of how we add value to programs for coaches, athletes and communities” said Terry Babilla, President of BSN SPORTS. “Berry College Athletics will now have access to the finest apparel and athletic products in the industry which will certainly enhance performance on and off the field. We are proud to be their team sports partner and pleased that we can elevate their overall student-athlete experience.”
Founded in 1972 as a factory-direct equipment company, BSN SPORTS has grown to become the largest distributor of team sports apparel and equipment in the United States. The company is also Nike’s largest supplier of uniforms to athletic teams in the United States.
- The G14-C East finished the season this past weekend dropping two games and tying another. On Friday night, Arsenal faced 11th place Concorde Central White at Lakepoint in Emerson. Concorde scored a goal on a penalty kick to take a 1-0 lead. Arsenal battled back and tied the game with a minute to go. Lizzie Ely made a run from the center back position leading to a corner kick. Deyvis Reader hit a solid corner and Malone Christen put it in the back of the net for the a 1-1 tie. Reader recorded 2 saves in goal, while Sophie Gaither added 3.
- On Saturday, they fell to 4th place Lady Chiefs Premiere 3-1. The Chiefs managed to grab a 3-0 lead. Christen was fouled in the box on a run late in the 2nd half and Payton Brown converted the penalty kick to cut the score to 3-1. Reader had 4 saves in goal while Gaither added 5.
- On Sunday, they lost to 3rd place DDYSC Wolves Elite 1-0 in Stone Mountain. The Wolves managed to get a goal midway through the 1st half to take the 1-0 lead. Arsenal fought back taking numerous shots on goal but couldn’t find the equalizer before time expired. Reader recorded 2 saves while Gaither added 4. Arsenal finishes the spring season in 6th place of Athena C with 4-5-2 record.
- The G14-D lost to 5th place Cherokee Impact Premier 3-1.
- The B13 V lost to UFA White 7-3.
- The B14-III West beat Brookhaven FC 3-1 to finish the season. Victor Valencia tied for 2nd in scoring with 11 goals. Their 6-4-1 record puts them in 5th place.
- The B15 Red finished their season beating 7th place UFA’s Norcross Spring 3-2. Their 6-3-1 record puts them in 4th place.
- Compiled by Roy Dickinson
HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL/GHSA Baseball Tournament:
Class 4A: Cartersville vs. Jefferson in a best of three series; games one and two set for Monday, May 21, at State Mutual Stadium. Game one begins at 5 p.m. The what-if game would be played May 23. Admission: $10 per person.
Class 6A: Pope vs. Allatoona-Alpharetta winner (reset for 4:30 p.m. today). Opening game 5 p.m. May 22.
Next: Today-Sunday vs. Asheville. Game times: 7 tonight and Friday, 6 p.m. Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday.
Roster moves: The Rome Braves announce the following roster moves: INF Kurt Hoekstra has been transferred to Florida.
Mills Fitzner’s photo gallery for the 2018 season and before.
Georgia Tech Night at the Rome Braves is Saturday. The Rome Georgia Tech Network is holding its annual Georgia Tech night at the Rome Braves this Saturday night. Come and join us and wear your Tech colors. We will be accepting donations for our Wesley Johnson incoming freshman scholarship fund. We have a block of tickets reserved. The cost is $5 for the seat, and it includes a hotdog. Please contact Tim Groves, President of the Rome GT network @ email@example.com or 678-522-1036 to reserve your ticket
- The event begins at 4 p.m. with a tailgate in the east parking lot; a Georgia Tech table at the main entrance starting at 5:30 p.m. and first pitch is at 6 p.m.
Berry Softball places six on All-Region teams: The Berry College softball team placed a total of six players on the National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-Region teams, the organization announced on Wednesday. This marks the first time Berry has received the maximum number of players on the All-Region list. Kassie Howard, Bayleigh Masterson and Brittany Tuttle earned recognition on the first-team. Kylie Aiken and Brooke Whittemore earned second-team recognition and Elisabeth Federici rounded out the honors on the third-team. Expanded release
A three-year varsity team member for the Hurricanes, Rhea joins the Vikings after a strong career at Cartersville High. She helped her team to the Elite 8 during her freshman season and was a member of the Darlington Soccer Academy for four years. “We’re excited to welcome Courtney as a talented center midfielder with good distribution skills and an excellent sense of positioning,” Canalis said. The daughter of Joleen and Greg Rhea, Courtney plans to major in nursing.
Berry College’s head men’s lacrosse coach Curtis Gilbert has been selected to coach the 77th annual USILA/Nike North-South All-Star game held at Providence College’s Chapey Field on May 25 at 5:30 p.m. The North-South game kicks off a Memorial Day weekend filled with lacrosse in New England as the 2018 NCAA Lacrosse Semifinals and Championships will be held at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough.
Friday: Rome vs. North Paulding, in the Wolves’ spring game at Berry College’s Valhalla Stadium, 7 p.m.
F&P is having its annual charity 5K on June 16 and this year, all of the proceeds this year will benefit Harbor House. “This is a great opportunity to support us and the community. You can use this link to register: https://bit.ly/2JFEdsu. Also, you can print the waiver form and take it to Garner and Glover Company, F&P Main Plant or Cycle Therapy. F&P Georgia Mfg