Rome Braves sweep double header in Augusta, tied for first place with Greenjackets. Near the midpoint of the first season, both Rome and Augusta are atop the SAL southern division with identical records of 20 wins and 12 loses.
Media release: The Augusta GreenJackets lost both games of a double header on Wednesday to the Rome Braves.
- In game one, Logan Baldwin got the GreenJackets out to an early lead with a solo home run in the bottom of the first. The Braves responded with four runs in the next inning. The GreenJackets would not be able to recover as they only scored three runs in the game. The final score of game one was 6-3.
- In game two, the second inning hurt the GreenJackets again. The Braves scored three runs in the inning and took control of the game. Although the GreenJackets put up some fight when they scored two runs in the third inning. They were never able to recover as the Braves pulled away late in the game for a 7-3 victory.
Next: At Augusta tonight and Friday at 7:05 p.m.; at Hickory Sunday through May 15.
Roster moves: The Rome Braves announce the following roster moves: RHP Cutter Dyals has been received from Danville; OF Drew Waters has been activated from the disabled list.
Mills Fitzner’s photo gallery for the 2018 season and before.
Pepperell High’s Abby Davenport signed with Carson Newman University for Cheerleading
HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Georgia High School Association State Track & Field Championships at Berry College’s Clark Track and Dickey Field at Valhalla Stadium, today-Saturday. Berry will host the A Private, 4A and 7A divisions, welcoming some of the top athletes in the state. Click HERE for the full meet schedule. Live results are available throughout the weekend at this link.
- Class 7A Walton v. Lambert
- Class 6A Northview v. Cambridge
- Class 5A Kell v. Chamblee
- Class 4A North Oconee v. Columbus
- Class 3A Westminster v. Lovett
- Class 2A Bleckley County v. Berrien
- Class A Public Taylor County v. Trion
- Class A Private Brookstone v. Walker
- Class 7A South Forsyth v. Walton
- Class 6A Johns Creek v. Dunwoody
- Class 5A Buford v. Flowery Branch
- Class 4A North Oconee v. Blessed Trinity
- Class 3A Pace Academy/Lovett winner v. Westminster
- Class 2A Bleckley County v. Benedictine
- Class A Public Irwin County v. Telfair County
- Class A Private Stratford Academy v. Paideia
All eight girls finals start on 40 courts at the Rome Tennis Center at 10 a.m. Saturday. All eight boys finals start on 40 courts at 2 p.m. Saturday.
HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL/GHSA Baseball Tournament:
Class 4A: Cartersville defeated Spalding 2-0 and 11-1 in 5 innings. Will be at home starting Tuesday in semifinals playing Heritage-Catoosa after Heritage took two from West Laurens. This is Cartersville’s 12th trip to the final four since 1989.
HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER
GHSA tournament matches
Class 3A: Calhoun will play Westminster Friday at 7:30 p.m. at McEachern for the state championship.
Friday: Coosa will be playing Jacksonville (Ala.) High and LaFayette in in a football scrimmage. “We will begin the fun at 5 p.m. There will be food trucks – BBQ, Mexican, Cagle’s Southern Eats, Spartan Smoothies, shaved ice and pies. Come eat, take pictures at the photo booth, enjoy music (5:30 p.m., the live music from Hunter & Chase will start) and watch some football.” Tailgating begins at 5 p.m.
Tuesday: Spring football for the Model Blue Devils, 6 p.m. Admission: Soap powder.
May 18: Rome vs. East Paulding, Barron Stadium.
The Berry College softball team will face the Hornets of Lynchburg College at Emory University to open their fourth straight NCAA Tournament appearance. Competition will begin on Friday, May 11 in the double-elimination regional in Atlanta. Game times are still to be determined.
F&P is having its annual charity 5K on June 16 and this year, all of the proceeds this year will benefit Harbor House. “This is a great opportunity to support us and the community. You can use this link to register: https://bit.ly/2JFEdsu. Also, you can print the waiver form and take it to Garner and Glover Company, F&P Main Plant or Cycle Therapy. F&P Georgia Mfg