Berry women’s lacrosse preview for 2018. Video and for more, click here.
Latest on weather-related schedule changes (will be updated throughout the day).
- Bremen at Darlington baseball has been moved to LakePoint Field no. 11 and begins this afternoon at 4 p.m.
SSA North GA is hosting its sixth annual free community soccer clinic for children aged 3 to 14 at North Floyd Park soccer complex on Saturday, Feb. 17, from 11 a.m. until noon for ages 3 to 8 and from 1 until 2 p.m. for ages 9 to 14. Participants can register for free online at www.SSAElite.com (select location – ‘ROME NTH/GA’ then ‘FREE FEB CLINIC’) This is the direct link http://clubs.bluesombrero.com/Default.aspx?tabid=342202. The clinic is for children of all soccer abilities and interest levels. Professional soccer coaches will teach children new skills and techniques through fun activities and drills. SSA North GA formally NGU soccer club, are one of the largest youth soccer clubs in Georgia.
Friday, is the last day to purchase tickets and RSVP to the Rome-Floyd Sports Hall of Fame Banquet on Feb. 25 at Berry College’s Krannert Center. Tickets are now on sale for the event. Being inducted this year are: Eric Floyd for Professional Athlete, Will Muschamp for Lifetime Achievement and Amateur Athlete, Nae Nae Daniels Saxton for Amateur Athlete, and Jamane Spivey for Professional Athlete. Along with the inductees, 12 area student athletes will be recognized for their achievements, with two being awarded the John Pinson Jr. Outstanding Student Athlete Scholarship. The event includes a banquet and awards ceremony. A social and silent auction will be held at 6 p.m., followed by a seated dinner and awards ceremony at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $30 and may be purchased in-person at Rome-Floyd Parks and Recreation at 1 Shorter Ave. Tickets may also be purchased online at romefloydsportshalloffame.com.
Roberts, Berry College Men’s Cross Country Earn All-Academic Honors. Full release. The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association has placed the Berry College men’s cross country team as well as sophomore Parker Roberts to its All-Academic teams, the organization announced on Friday.
Berry’s Berchock named SAA Men’s Lacrosse offensive player of the week. Release
Vikings’ Howard, Tuttle sweep SAA Softball Player of the Week awards Release
HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL
About A/A private schools (Darlington, Trion): The power rankings are out for boys and girls but schools still have an option to appeal. The Georgia High School Association is expected to post brackets later today.
- A boys: Darlington currently is ranked no. 11 (13-10 record) in private schools; Trion (13-11) is no. 16 in public schools.
- A girls: Darlington currently is ranked no. 24 (9-13) in private schools; Trion (11-13) is ranked no. 38 in public schools.
Girls’ scoreboard and schedule:
First round match-ups for GHSA State Tournament: Please click each ‘class’ for the latest brackets from GHSA.
- Class 5A: #10 Rome at #4 Flowery Branch, Friday, 7 p.m.
- Class 3A: Cedar Grover at Sonoravillle
- Class 2A: Putnam County at Model, 6 p.m. Friday. Tickets: $7
- Class 2A: Pepperell at #4 Banks Co.
- Class 2A: #9 Rabun Co. at Rockmart.
- Class 2A: Gordon Central at Elbert Co.;
Boys’ scoreboard and schedule:
Rome Braves‘ 16th season opener on Thursday, April 5, vs. Hagerstown at State Mutual Stadium.
Mills Fitzner’s photo gallery for the 2017 season (and all the way back to 2008).
- Georgia Highlands: Lady Chargers at Andrew College, Friday at 5:30 p.m. Chargers at home vs. South Georgia State, Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
- Berry men: At home vs. Oglethorpe, 8 p.m. Saturday. Media release
- Berry women: At home vs. Wesleyan, 6 p.m. Tuesday. Media release
- Shorter women: At West Georgia, Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
- Shorter men: At West Georgia, Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
Berry Half Marathon / 10K / 5K / Fun Run returns March 10. Complete details here.