HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL Finals
- FINAL 5A—Rome 63 Cedar Shoals 13. Next: Plays Banneker-SW DeKalb winner.
- FINAL 4A—Cartersville 48 Pickens 21. Next: Plays Blessed Trinity.
- FINAL: 4A–Cedartown 47 Northwest Whitfield 14 Next: Plays Madison County-Marist winner.
- FINAL: 3A—Calhoun 27 Pace Academy 3. Plays North Hall-Monroe Area winner.
- FINAL 3A –Adairsville 10 Cedar Grove 48. Adairsville’s season ends.
- FINAL 2A—Pepperell 57 Banks County 0. Next: South Atlanta vs. Heard County winner.
- FINAL 2A — Coosa 7 Elbert County 41. Coosa’s season ends.
- FINAL 2A — Chattooga 6 Rabun County 49. Chattooga’s season ends.
- FINAL 2A — Rockmart 47 Monticello 7. Next: Winner of Douglass-Atlanta vs Callaway
- FINAL: 1A private — Darlington 26 Mount de Sales 3. Playing Aquinas in the next round
- 1A public — Trion 35 Dooly County 56
John McClellan’s High School Football playoff picks: How did John pick ’em Friday night? McClellan
Berry Volleyball downs Hanover in opening round of NCAA playoffs: In a showing of the No. 2 and No. 3 blocking teams in the nation, the Berry College volleyball team took home a 3-2 thriller over the Hanover College Panthers to advance to the regional semifinals. Berry advances to face Covenant this afternoon at 4:30 at Emory University. Vikings
- The Shorter Lady Hawks open the season this afternoon in the first of two games at the annual GSC/SSC Conference Challenge, hosted at Lee University this year. Shorter joins Lee from the GSC; and both will take on Florida Southern and St. Leo at Walker Arena on the Lee campus. Shorter enters the year as the GSC head coaches’ pick to finish 12th in the 14-team league, and will look to better that prediction and their 8-19 record from a year ago. Lady Hawks
- The Hawks open the season this afternoon in the annual GSC/SIAC Conference Challenge. This year, the four-team tournament will be hosted by Lemoyne-Owen in Memphis Tenn., and will feature Shorter and Union from the GSC; while Spring Hill joins LOC from the SIAC. Shorter enters the year with something to prove. Picked to finish 13th in the annual preseason coaches’ poll, the Hawks will look to make a name for itself with a fresh new squad. Amonte Potter and Mike Wickliff are the lone returners from last year’s team that finished 17-12 overall and 11-11 in the conference play; falling in the GSC Tournament Quarterfinals to Delta State. Hawks
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Tech vs. Virginia Tech, 2:20 p.m.
Alabama Crimson Tide. Alabama at Mississippi State, 7 p.m.
ACC schedule for Saturday:
- NC State @ Boston College — Noon (ABC and ESPN2)
- Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech — 12:20 p.m. (ACC Network)
- Wake Forest @ Syracuse — 3 p.m. (ACC RSN)
- Florida State @ Clemson — 3:30 p.m. (ESPN)
- Virginia @ Louisville — 3:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Notre Dame @ Miami — 8 p.m. (ABC)
SEC schedule for Saturday:
- Arkansas at LSU, Noon on ESPN
- Florida at South Carolina, Noon on CBS
- UL-Lafayette at Ole Miss, Noon on SEC Network
- Georgia at Auburn, 3:30 p.m. on CBS
- Alabama at Mississippi State, 7 p.m. on ESPN
- Kentucky at Vanderbilt, 4 p.m. on SEC Network
- New Mexico at Texas A&M, 7 p.m.
- Tennessee at Missouri, 7:30 p.m. on SEC Network
MORE COLLEGE UPDATES
The Georgia Highlands Dana Davis Classic Basketball Tournament will kick off Friday at the Corral with four very talented teams.
- Friday 5:30 Cape Fear College vs #11 Chipola College
- 7:30 Denmark Tech vs #18 GHC Chargers
- Saturday 1:00 #11 Chipola College vs Denmark Tech
- 3:00 Cape Fear College vs #18 GHC Chargers
- 5:00 Snead State vs GHC Lady Chargers
- The Dana Davis Classic is in honor of former GHC employee and one of GHC Basketball’s biggest fans, Dana Davis. Since the men’s and women’s basketball teams were formed, she could be found cheering at every game right behind the players’ bench. She also provided game night desserts, meals at her home and financial and counseling support for the players. Dana passed away in 2015. Her spirit, smile, and generosity will never be forgotten by the Charger Family. It is with great honor that we welcome you to the second Dana Davis Classic at Georgia Highlands College. Come out to the Corral and enjoy a great weekend of college basketball. Admission is free to GHC student, faculty, and staff with College ID. General Admission $5.
Georgia Highlands sports reports.
Georgia Northwestern Technical College sports updates.
Berry College Volleyball: Led by a South Region Coach of the Year honor for second-year head coach Caitlyn Moriarty, the Berry College volleyball team placed three players on the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) All-Region teams after one of the most successful seasons in Berry’s NCAA Division III era. Vikings
The Falcons host the Dallas Cowboys, 4:25 p.m. Sunday, Fox.
Rome Braves’ 16th season opener on Thursday, April 5, vs. Hagerstown at State Mutual Stadium. Mills Fitzner’s photo gallery for the 2017 season.
Half Marathon, companion events return Dec. 2, to benefit local high school teams: To register and for more information: www.romehalf.com or contact GoGo Running at The Shoe Box at 706-291-0752.