HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
John McClellan’s High School Football playoff picks: Updated: John McClellan high school playoff picks: Rome, Pepperell, Darlington, Cartersville, Calhoun, Cedartown, Rockmart should advance to round two. McClellan
First round playoff match-ups for Friday:
- 5A—Rome will host Cedar Shoals. 99.5 FM The Jock.
- 4A—Cartersville will host Pickens. 100.3 FM, AM 1450 WBHF
- 4A–Cedartown will host Northwest Whitfield. WGAA 1340 AM
- 3A—Calhoun will host Pace Academy.
- Adairsville will travel to Cedar Grove. Bracket
- 2A—Pepperell will host Banks County. Q102
- Coosa will be at Elbert County.
- Chattooga will be at Rabun County.
- Rockmart will host Monticello. Bracket
- Class A — (Private) Darlington will host Mount de Sales Friday night with the winner playing Aquinas in the next round. 1410 AM
- Class A — (Public) Trion will host Dooly County; the winner will travel to Clinch County in the second round. Bracket.
High school playoff brackets:
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Tech vs. Virginia Tech, 2:20 p.m.
Alabama Crimson Tide. Alabama at Mississippi State, 7 p.m.
ACC schedule for Saturday:
- NC State @ Boston College — Noon (ABC and ESPN2)
- Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech — 12:20 p.m. (ACC Network)
- Wake Forest @ Syracuse — 3 p.m. (ACC RSN)
- Florida State @ Clemson — 3:30 p.m. (ESPN)
- Virginia @ Louisville — 3:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Notre Dame @ Miami — 8 p.m. (ABC)
SEC schedule for Saturday:
- Arkansas at LSU, Noon on ESPN
- Florida at South Carolina, Noon on CBS
- UL-Lafayette at Ole Miss, Noon on SEC Network
- Georgia at Auburn, 3:30 p.m. on CBS
- Alabama at Mississippi State, 7 p.m. on ESPN
- Kentucky at Vanderbilt, 4 p.m. on SEC Network
- New Mexico at Texas A&M, 7 p.m.
- Tennessee at Missouri, 7:30 p.m. on SEC Network
MORE COLLEGE UPDATES
Georgia Highlands sports reports.
The Lady Chargers traveled to Warner Robins , Georgia to open GCAA Conference play versus Central Georgia Tech and came away with a 78-70 win. GHC got out on a fast start up by 13 at the end of the first period . The Lady Chargers held their lead throughout the first half, leading 62-51 at the half. Central had a run late in the second half To cut lead to 8, but the Lady Chargers held on for the 78-70 win. ”This was a great road winto start the season. our kids started fast and strong, we hit a lull in the 4th period. We have to improve on closing it out, but I was impressed with our effort and intensity for most of the game”, said Lady Charger Head Coach Brandan Harrell. GHC was led by sophomore Anna Stewart with 18 points, Ozahria Fisher with 16 points, 5 assists, and 8 rebounds, Sharai Lay with 15 points and 10 rebounds, and Cierrah Perdue with 9 points and 10 rebounds. The Lady Chargers (2-1), (1-0) in GCAA play will return to action on Saturday at home versus Snead State. Tip off 5 p.m.
Georgia Northwestern Technical College sports updates.
The Falcons host the Dallas Cowboys, 4:25 p.m. Sunday, Fox.
- Rome Braves’ 16th season opener on Thursday, April 5, vs. Hagerstown at State Mutual Stadium. Mills Fitzner’s photo gallery for the 2017 season.
Half Marathon, companion events return Dec. 2, to benefit local high school teams: To register and for more information: www.romehalf.com or contact GoGo Running at The Shoe Box at 706-291-0752.