HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
Cartersville’s all-star quarterback, Trevor Lawrence, will play in the Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 6. He’s pictured above receiving his jersey. Among the congratulatory notes was this one from the Army Bowl: “Welcome 5-star Clemson commit Trevor Lawrence to the 2018 U.S. Army All-American.” The city school system added, “Congratulations, Trevor! Our talented, celebrated quarterback, Trevor Lawrence, received his game jersey this morning to play in the Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 6.” Lawrence and the Purple Hurricanes are riding a 40-game win streak and open the playoffs Friday night. Cartersville has won the 4A state title the past two seasons.
Latest College Football Playoff rankings: Georgia, Alabama remain in no. 1, 2 spots; Notre Dame no. 3, Clemson no. 4. Details
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
John McClellan’s High School Football playoff picks: Updated: John McClellan high school playoff picks: Rome, Pepperell, Darlington, Cartersville, Calhoun, Cedartown, Rockmart should advance to round two. McClellan
First round playoff match-ups for Friday:
- 5A—Rome will host Cedar Shoals. 99.5 FM The Jock.
- 4A—Cartersville will host Pickens. 100.3 FM, AM 1450 WBHF
- 4A–Cedartown will host Northwest Whitfield. WGAA 1340 AM
- 3A—Calhoun will host Pace Academy.
- Adairsville will travel to Cedar Grove. Bracket
- 2A—Pepperell will host Banks County. Q102
- Coosa will be at Elbert County.
- Chattooga will be at Rabun County.
- Rockmart will host Monticello. Bracket
- Class A — (Private) Darlington will host Mount de Sales Friday night with the winner playing Aquinas in the next round. 1410 AM
- Class A — (Public) Trion will host Dooly County; the winner will travel to Clinch County in the second round. Bracket.
High school playoff brackets:
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Tech vs. Virginia Tech, 2:20 p.m.
Alabama Crimson Tide. Alabama at Mississippi State, 7 p.m.
Norman Arey’s Norman’s No-Nos: 10 locks to lose this weekend. Posts Thursday morning.
ACC schedule for Saturday:
- NC State @ Boston College — Noon (ABC and ESPN2)
- Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech — 12:20 p.m. (ACC Network)
- Wake Forest @ Syracuse — 3 p.m. (ACC RSN)
- Florida State @ Clemson — 3:30 p.m. (ESPN)
- Virginia @ Louisville — 3:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
- Notre Dame @ Miami — 8 p.m. (ABC)
SEC schedule for Saturday:
- Arkansas at LSU, Noon on ESPN
- Florida at South Carolina, Noon on CBS
- UL-Lafayette at Ole Miss, Noon on SEC Network
- Georgia at Auburn, 3:30 p.m. on CBS
- Alabama at Mississippi State, 7 p.m. on ESPN
- Kentucky at Vanderbilt, 4 p.m. on SEC Network
- New Mexico at Texas A&M, 7 p.m.
- Tennessee at Missouri, 7:30 p.m. on SEC Network
MORE COLLEGE UPDATES
Georgia Highlands sports reports.
Georgia Northwestern Technical College sports updates.
The Falcons host the Dallas Cowboys, 4:25 p.m. Sunday, Fox.
- Rome Braves’ 16th season opener on Thursday, April 5, vs. Hagerstown at State Mutual Stadium. Mills Fitzner’s photo gallery for the 2017 season.
Half Marathon, companion events return Dec. 2, to benefit local high school teams: To register and for more information: www.romehalf.com or contact GoGo Running at The Shoe Box at 706-291-0752.