Buzz: Chick-fil-A customers turn out to help build trust fund for slain detective’s son. Two Darlington seniors named Commended Students in the 2018 National Merit Scholarship Program.

Good crowds were spotted at both Chick-fil-A Dwarf House in Rome and the new Chick-fil-A in Rockmart Wednesday evening as customers dined knowing that a portion of the evening’s sales would go toward a trust fund for the 3-year-old son of fallen Polk County Police Detective Kristin Hearne. At 5:45 p.m. Wednesday, both drive-through lanes at the Dwarf House were full with orders being taken by notebooks to speed up the process. The two restaurants shared the fundraiser as Hearne first worked for the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office and later Polk County Police. She leaves son Isaac, 3, and her husband Matt, an Aragon police officer. Photo courtesy of Floyd County Sheriff Tim Burkhalter. 

Two Darlington seniors named Commended Students in the 2018 National Merit Scholarship Program. Media release: Darlington Seniors Gabrielle Jones and Rong Ye have been named Commended Students in the 2018 National Merit Scholarship Program.

“The young men and women named Commended Students have demonstrated outstanding potential for academic success,” commented a spokesperson for NMSC. “These students represent a valuable national resource; recognizing their accomplishments, as well as the key role their schools play in their academic development, is vital to the advancement of educational excellence in our nation. We hope that this recognition will help broaden their educational opportunities and encourage them as they continue their pursuit of academic success.”

Gabrielle Jones

Jones has taken 19 AP and Honors courses and is a resident of Thornwood House. She is a member of the wind ensemble and has been a member of the rowing and swim teams. She is a Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Seminar Ambassador and has been recognized for excellence in concert band and received a Pillar Award for team leadership in rowing. Jones has spent the past two summers serving Floyd Medical Center through the VolunTEEN program and this summer served as a Teen Ambassador where she advised other teen volunteers in a leadership capacity while completing various tasks for the hospital. She is the daughter of Kim and Chris Jones of Spartanburg, S.C.

Rong Ye

Ye has taken 8 AP and Honors courses and is a resident of Regester House. She is a member of Mu Alpha Theta, Société Honoraire de Français, International Quill and Scroll Honor Society, Impact Club, and the tennis team. She is in her fourth year of serving as student publications design editor and is also the math team’s co-president and secretary. She is a gold medalist in the USA Computing Olympiad, was on the first place team in the 2015 GCTM State Mathematics Tournament, and is on the National Scholastic Press Association Honor Roll of Student Journalists. Ye has served as a tutor with Darlington’s academic mentor program, is a Tiger Expert volunteer, and provides online volunteer tutoring for children living in rural China through the Spark Tutoring Organization. She is the daughter of Mr. Mingwei Ye and Mrs. Qin Pan of Xiamen, Fujian, China.

About 34,000 Commended Students throughout the nation are being recognized for their exceptional academic promise. Although they will not continue in the competition for National Merit Scholarship awards, Commended Students placed among the top 50,000 scorers of more than 1.6 million students who entered the 2018 competition by taking the 2016 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSA/NMSQT®).

Share Button

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.