By John McClellan
For Hometown Headlines
Big wins by Rome, Darlington, Cartersville Calhoun and Sonoraville highlighted a light schedule of high school football action in northwest Georgia. Cass and Woodland battled to the end but fell short in key region action.
This weekend is the Friday night Region 7-AA has been pointing to since the preseason with the game between Pepperell and Rockmart deciding who takes over sole possession of first place in the league and the game between Coosa and Dade County having major playoff implications. The Darlington-Trion game will go a long way to determining playoff seedings in Class A, while Rome and Cartersville look to continue their unbeaten streaks.
Pepperell (4-2, 3-0) at Rockmart (4-2, 3-0)
- Series History: Tied 18-18-1
- Last Meeting: Pepperell defeated Rockmart 31-10 on October 14, 2016
- First place in Region 7-AA is at stake as the Pepperell Dragons travel south to take on the Rockmart Yellow Jackets. The Dragons, like every 7-AA school, are coming off their bye week with their last game a big 49-0 shutout of Model. The Yellow Jackets also held their opponent scoreless in their last win, a 48-0 victory over Chattooga. A Pepperell win should set up the Dragons for a sweep of their last three games, while Rockmart still must travel to Coosa next Friday. Pepperell wins by 3.
Class A Public Number 10 Trion (5-1, 3-0) at Darlington (4-3, 3-1)
- Series History: Darlington leads 13-3
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Trion 31-7 on October 14, 2016
- The Trion Bulldogs, whose only loss came a month ago to Class 3A Number 7 Bremen, are 3-0 in Region 6-A after a 59-10 win over Christian Heritage before having the week off. The Darlington Tigers are only 4-3 after beating North Cobb Christian 28-7 Friday night but have played a far tougher schedule than Trion. Both teams are seeking to move up in the Class A power rankings that determine postseason seedings in their respective public and private school playoffs. Trion wins by 2.
Cass (0-6, 0-4) at Class 5A Number 1 Rome (6-0, 4-0)
- Series History: Rome leads 6-1
- Last meeting: Rome defeated Cass 42-7 on October 14, 2016
- The Cass Colonels were locked in a tight battle all night before falling short in yet another close game, this time a 17-9 loss to East Paulding. The Rome Wolves went on the road for only the second time this season and kept their unbeaten streak alive with a 42-13 win over Hiram. Friday night will be Homecoming for the Wolves at Barron Stadium. Rome wins by more than 30.
Dade County (3-3, 2-1) at Coosa (4-2, 2-1)
- Series History: Coosa leads 15-4
- Last Meeting: Coosa defeated Dade County 21-7 on October 14, 2016
- The Dade County Wolverines remain very much alive in their fight for a Region 7-AA playoff slot after a 41-12 win a week ago over Gordon Central. The Coosa Eagles, who were coming off a four-point loss to Pepperell, dominated Armuchee 34-6 in their last outing to show why they are postseason contenders in 2017. Coosa wins by 13.
Chattooga (1-5, 1-2) at Model (1-5, 1-2)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 8-7
- Last Meeting: Chattooga defeated Model 31-7 on October 14, 2016
- The Chattooga Indians, whose only win this season came over winless Gordon Central, are 1-5 after being held scoreless by Rockmart 48-0 in their last game. The rebuilding Model Blue Devils, whose lone victory came in a defeat of Armuchee, also are 1-5 after a 49-0 shutout loss to Pepperell. Chattooga wins by 11.
Armuchee (1-5, 0-3) at Gordon Central (0-6, 0-3)
- Series History: Armuchee leads 3-1-1
- Last Meeting: Armuchee defeated Gordon Central 43-3 on October 14, 2016
- The Armuchee Indians, who defeated Class 3A Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe for their only 2017 win, are 0-3 in Region 7-AA following a 34-6 loss to Coosa. The Gordon Central Warriors lost 41-12 to Dade County in their last contest to extend their winless streak to 21 games. Armuchee wins by 10.
Unity Christian School (6-1, 2-1) at Harvester Christian Academy (1-5, 0-3)
- Last Meeting: Harvester defeated UCS 62-12 on October 14, 2016
- The UCS Lions, who were off Friday night, continued to show their offensive prowess a week ago in a 56-14 win over a good Peachtree Academy team. The Harvester Christian Hawks, whose only win came over Peoples Baptist in the season opener, lost to Cherokee Christian 57-13. Unity Christian wins by more than 30.
Adairsville (3-3, 0-1) at Sonoraville (4-3, 1-1)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 9-2
- Last Meeting: Sonoraville defeated Adairsville 35-0 on October 14, 2016
- The Adairsville Tigers fell to 3-3 overall and 0-1 in Region 6-AAA South after a 42-16 loss to Calhoun. The Sonoraville Phoenix shutout winless Haralson County 33-0 to even their subregion record to 1-1. This game in all likelihood will determine third and fourth place in Region 6-AAA South. Sonoraville wins by 6.
Sandy Creek (3-3, 0-2) at Class 4A Number 1 Cartersville (7-0, 3-0)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 4-0
- Last Meeting: Cartersville defeated Sandy Creek 35-21 on October 14, 2016
- The Sandy Creek Fighting Patriots, who began the season ranked Number 4 in the state in Class 4A, were victims in one of the biggest upsets of the night in Georgia with a 35-32 loss at home to Chapel Hill. The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes remained unbeaten and had their biggest margin of victory of the year in a 56-0 blanking of LaGrange. Cartersville wins by more than 30.
Woodland (3-4, 2-3) at East Paulding (2-4, 2-2)
- Series History: East Paulding leads 7-4
- Last Meeting: East Paulding defeated Woodland 28-15 on October 14, 2016
- The Woodland Wildcats led almost the entire game before Paulding County scored late to pull out a 35-34 come from behind win. The East Paulding Raiders were in danger of falling to 1-5 for the year before a fourth quarter touchdown gave them a 17-9 win over Cass. Both teams remain in contention for the fourth playoff spot in Region 7-AAAAA. East Paulding wins by 18.
OFF: Class 3A Number 4 Calhoun (6-1, 2-0 after defeating Adairsville 42-16), Cedartown (6-1, 2-1 after defeating Central of Carrollton 35-14), Georgia School for the Deaf (1-2 after losing to Mississippi School for the Deaf 56-6)
In other games involving games in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- North Cobb (4-2, 0-1) over North Paulding (5-1, 0-1) by 9
- New Manchester (2-5, 1-4) over South Paulding (0-6, 0-4) by 21
- Dalton (5-1, 3-0) over Sequoyah (5-1, 3-0) by 10
- Class 5A Number 6 Carrollton (5-1, 3-1) over Hiram (2-5, 1-4) by 26
- Class 5A Number 7 Kell (3-3, 3-1) over Villa Rica (4-3, 2-3) by 15
- Chapel Hill (4-2, 1-1) over Central of Carrollton (3-4, 1-2) by 5
- Class 4A Number 8 Troup (6-0, 2-0) over LaGrange (0-7, 0-3) by 29
- Southeast Whitfield (5-2, 1-2) over Gilmer (0-6, 0-2) by 18
- Class 4A Number 6 Ridgeland (6-0, 2-0) over Heritage (7-0, 3-0) by 15
- Pickens (4-2, 2-0) over Northwest Whitfield (4-3, 1-2) by 1
- Murray County (2-5, 0-2) over Coahulla Creek (0-6, 0-1) by 27
- Ringgold (4-3, 1-1) over North Murray (3-3, 1-0) by 1
- Class 3A Number 7 Bremen (6-0, 1-0) over Haralson County (0-6, 0-2) by more than 30
- Spencer (4-2, 1-0) over Temple (4-2, 0-1) by 10
- Class A Public Number 5 Mt. Zion (6-0, 3-0) over Bowdon (2-5, 1-3) by 24
- North Cobb Christian (1-5, 0-3) over Christian Heritage (1-5, 1-2) by 4
- Fellowship Christian (3-3, 1-3) over Pinecrest Academy (0-6, 0-4) by 22
- Kings Ridge Christian (2-4, 1-3) over St. Francis (1-5, 0-4) by 2
- Class A Private Number 3 Mt. Paran Christian (5-1, 4-0) over Whitefield Academy (4-2, 3-1) by 27