HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
John McClellan’s high school picks: Pepperell, Darlington rebound; Unity, Calhoun, Rockmart to get big wins. McClellan
Georgia High School Football Daily: Cartersville’s Trevor Lawrence remains in first, Rome’s Adam Anderson is no. 3 in the Player of the Year rankings this week. Wednesday
This weekend’s games:
- Rockmart (1-2, 0-0) at Armuchee (1-2, 0-0)
- Coosa (2-1, 0-0) at Chattooga (0-3, 0-0)
- Gordon Central (0-3, 0-0) at Pepperell (1-2, 0-0). Radio: Q102
- Gordon Lee (1-2, 0-0) at Darlington (1-2, 0-0). Radio: 1410 AM
- Model (0-3, 0-0) at Dade County (1-2)
- Unity Christian School (3-1) at Vidalia Heritage Academy (0-2)
- Bowdon (1-2, 0-2) at Trion (2-1, 0-0)
- Cass (0-3, 0-1) at Hiram (1-2, 0-1)
- Villa Rica (2-1, 0-1) at Woodland (2-1, 1-0)
- Adairsville (2-1) at Ringgold (1-2)
- Class 3A Number 6 Calhoun (2-1) at Coahulla Creek (0-3)
- Sonoraville (2-1) at Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (1-2).
- Saturday: Georgia School for the Deaf (0-1) at Carolinas School for the Deaf (0-0)
High school softball: The latest rankings from the AJC:
- 3A: Calhoun is no. 1
- 2A: Rockmart is no. 1, Pepperell no. 6.
- 1A Private: Darlington is no. 10.
- Sept. 23: Shorter will induct Coach Phil Jones into the Athletics Hall of Fame. All former players, coaches, and staff are invited to join us for this special occasion. The presentation will take place on the field prior to kickoff against Delta State. Game time is 1 p.m. at Barron Stadium.
- Tiffani Estep (right) earned the Lady Hawks’ first Gulf South Conference Player of the Week recognition of the season, as she earned top defensive honors for her play last week. Estep added to her league leading total in blocks with 20 for the week, averaging four per match. While, finishing with a season high of seven against Coker Saturday afternoon and posting five or more three times. She also added a .359 hitting percentage for the week, with 44 kills, 3 service aces and 22 digs.
Georgia Bulldogs‘ football. Georgia will host Samford, Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Tech’s game at the University of Central Florida in Orlando), set for 7:30 p.m. Saturday, has been canceled because of issues tied to Hurricane Irma. It will not be rescheduled. Next for the Jackets: Home vs. Pittsburgh at 12:20 p.m.
Alabama Crimson Tide. Alabama will host Colorado State, 6 p.m. on Saturday.
The Falcons host the Packers at 8:30 p.m. Sunday on NBC. Click Falcons
- Next game: 16th season opener on Thursday, April 5, vs. Hagerstown at State Mutual Stadium, 7 p.m.
- Mills Fitzner’s photo gallery for the 2017 season.
- The G14-DE lost to Inter Atlanta Excel 2-0. They host UFA South GA next Sunday.
- The G14-DW recorded two away wins to open the season. On Saturday, they traveled to Villa Rica topping the Georgia Storm 1-0. Joey Kunczewski netted the lone goal for Arsenal in the first half. Deyvis Reader recorded 5 saves in goal, including a late diving effort to preserve the win and the shutout.
- On Sunday, Arsenal travelled to Dahlonega and topped North Georgia, 3-0. Ashley Marin opened the scoring late in the first half off an assist from Sophia Campa, giving the squad a 1-0 halftime lead. Carlee Brock added the second goal early in the second half, and Marin closed out the game with a goal in the waning moments to secure the 3-0 lead. Reader recorded one save in goal to earn the shutout. The two wins have Arsenal in first place with 10 points. The team returns to action 9/23 when they travel to play fourth place UFA Norcross Red.
- The G16-A lost to UFA Red 4-1. They travel to South Forsyth for UFA Saturday and host SSA Savannah Sunday.
- The G16-D split two games this weekend beating Jackson County’s Alliance Premier 5-3 Saturday then lost Sunday to SSA’s 1st place Cartersville Green leaving Arsenal in 2nd place. They next travel 9/23 to Lawrenceville.
- The G19-AN lost to Athens United Gold 4-2. They host Atlanta Fire Saturday and travel to the Ambush on Sunday.
- The B13-IIIW are in Atlanta next weekend with NASA on Saturday and SSA on Sunday.
- The B14-IIIW start next weekend in Atlanta Saturday at SSA and Carrollton Sunday with the Storm.
- The B15-I lost to GSA Premier 5-0. They play in Dalton next Saturday and host Concorde on Sunday.
- The B15-VW lost to Concorde Fire White 5-2. They play SSA Cartersville 9/16.
- The B17-IIIW beat GA Rush Saturday 4-3 and SSA Chelsea 3-2. They are tied for 1st on points, 2nd on goal differential. They are back in Norcross next Saturday with UFA.
- The B19-II beat GSA South 1-0. They are in Lawrenceville next Sunday.
- The Academy went to Duluth to play Brookhaven, Gwinnett, and Bryson Park. They came away with an 8-3 record to make their season 18-9.
- The G10 lost to the Gwinnett Express 6-2.
- The G11 tied the Express 3-3 with goals from Elise O’Neal (2), Sarah Harris. They then beat Brookhaven Elite 2-1 with goals from Lexie Day and Gabbie Bishop.
- The G12 beat the Express 5-1 and Brookhaven 6-1 where Chalyse Brown got a hat trick.
- The B9 beat Brookhaven Gold 6-4.
- The B10 lost to Brookhaven 4-0 before beating Express Genoa 5-0.
- The B11 beat Express Juventus 8-3. Angel Tapia had the first goal of the day with an assist from Marley Price. Giovani Echanique had a breakaway that led to the 2nd goal. Tripp Watterson had a great showing with a hat trick. Zeke Donner scored 2 and Klae Theakston 1. They then beat Bryson Park Ceron 4-2. This was a much closer game, but the boys pulled out the win. The first goal came from Price with an assist from Theakston. The others came from Theakston, Tapia, and Girgis.
- Compiled by Roy Dickinson.