By John McClellan
For Hometown Headlines
The Rome Wolves, Cartersville Purple Hurricanes, and Cedartown Bulldogs—all are off this coming week—remained unbeaten with big wins on Friday night. Meanwhile, the Woodland Wildcats continued their turnaround with a win over Cass, while Trion fell from the ranks of the undefeated and Region 7-AA had a winless night on the gridiron.
Teams in Region 7-AA and Region 6-A start league play this weekend with a full slate of games. Calhoun, Adairsville, and Sonoraville look to have clear sailing as crossover play starts in Region 6-AAA.
Rockmart (1-2, 0-0) at Armuchee (1-2, 0-0)
- Series History: Rockmart leads 11-2
- Last Meeting: Rockmart defeated Armuchee 62-6 on September 16, 2016
- The Rockmart Yellow Jackets, who were upset 31-30 a week ago by a Woodland team who had not won a football game since the 2015 season, are coming off an open date. The Armuchee Indians played a closer game against Temple than a year ago but still fell in a 42-21 loss on the road. Rockmart wins by more than 30.
Coosa (2-1, 0-0) at Chattooga (0-3, 0-0)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 16-13
- Last Meeting: Chattooga defeated Coosa 48-14 on September 16, 2016
- The Coosa Eagles battled Mt. Zion to a scoreless tie in the first half before losing 14-0 to the unbeaten and state ranked team in their final game before starting Region 7-AA play. The Chattooga Indians fell to 0-3 against a tough non-region slate following a 38-7 loss to Class 4A ranked Ridgeland. Chattooga wins by 10.
Gordon Central (0-3, 0-0) at Pepperell (1-2, 0-0)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 3-0
- Last Meeting: Pepperell defeated Gordon Central 69-0 on September 16, 2016
- The Gordon Central Warriors continued to put points on the scoreboard while coming up short in a 28-27 loss to LaFayette. The Pepperell Dragons saw their record fall to a disappointing 1-2 after losing 42-10 to Cedartown. Pepperell wins by more than 30.
Gordon Lee (1-2, 0-0) at Darlington (1-2, 0-0)
- Series History: Darlington leads 14-1
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Gordon Lee 42-20 on September 16, 2016
- The Gordon Lee Trojans fell to 1-2 following their final non-region game in a 24-7 upset loss to Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe. The Darlington Tigers fell out of the Top 10 and lost for the second straight week as they fell 21-7 to Heard County. This game marks the start of Region 6-A play for both teams. Darlington wins by 16.
Model (0-3, 0-0) at Dade County (1-2)
- Series History: Model leads 7-6
- Last Meeting: Model defeated Dade County 35-13 on September 16, 2016
- The Model Blue Devils continued their rough start to the 2017 season in a 37-10 loss to Northwest Whitfield. The Dade County Wolverines are coming off their bye week after losing a week ago 35-14 to Trion. Model wins by 11.
Unity Christian School (3-1) at Vidalia Heritage Academy (0-2)
- Series History: First Meeting
- The UCS Lions survived the highest scoring game of the weekend in Georgia by beating Shiloh Hills Christian School 74-72. The Vidalia Heritage Academy Eagles, who are playing their first year of varsity football, remained winless after losing 40-8 to David Emanuel Academy. This is the last game for UCS before starting region play. Unity Christian wins by 24.
Bowdon (1-2, 0-2) at Trion (2-1, 0-0)
- Series History: Bowdon leads 27-9-1
- Last Meeting: Bowdon defeated Trion 37-18 on September 16, 2016
- The Bowdon Red Devils, who had started the year with two straight losses, broke into the win column with a 28-0 shutout of Greenville. The Trion Bulldogs fell from the ranks of the unbeaten in a 35-14 loss to Class 3A ranked Bremen. Trion wins by 11.
Cass (0-3, 0-1) at Hiram (1-2, 0-1)
- Series History: Cass leads 2-1
- Last Meeting: Cass defeated Hiram 14-12 on September 16, 2016
- The Cass Colonels, who entered the 2017 season with high expectations, found themselves still winless following a 20-6 loss to Woodland. The Hiram Hornets battled Paulding County close all night before losing 18-14 to the Patriots. Hiram wins by 13.
Villa Rica (2-1, 0-1) at Woodland (2-1, 1-0)
- Series History: Villa Rica leads 4-1
- Last Meeting: Villa Rica defeated Woodland 41-0 on September 16, 2016
- The Villa Rica Wildcats, who were coming off a state playoff season and two straight big wins to open the season, fell to 0-1 in Region 7-AAAAA play in a 30-14 loss to East Paulding. The Woodland Wildcats, who had lost 17 straight games before beating Rockmart a week ago, opened region play with a 20-6 upset of Cass. Villa Rica wins by 14.
Adairsville (2-1) at Ringgold (1-2)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 5-2
- Last Meeting: Adairsville defeated Ringgold 48-34 on September 16, 2016
- The Adairsville Tigers, who were off Friday night, picked up their second straight win a week ago by defeating Model 49-14. The Ringgold Tigers, who also are coming off an open date, fell to 1-2 a week ago by losing 31-0 to Fannin County. Ringgold wins by 1.
Class 3A Number 6 Calhoun (2-1) at Coahulla Creek (0-3)
- Series History: Calhoun leads 3-0
- Last Meeting: Calhoun defeated Coahulla Creek 57-12 on September 16, 2016
- The Calhoun Yellow Jackets, who had a big win over Dalton the week before, suffered a one-sided loss to Class 3A top ranked Cartersville 58-6 before having the week off. The Coahulla Creek Colts, who also were off Friday night, are in a 17-game losing streak after dropping a 55-12 game to Heritage. Calhoun wins by more than 39.
Sonoraville (2-1) at Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (1-2)
- Series History: Sonoraville leads 5-2
- Last Meeting: Sonoraville defeated L-FO 46-3 on September 16, 2016
- The Sonoraville Phoenix lost for the first time in 2017 in a 41-21 defeat at Class 6A Dalton and dropped out of the Top 10 in Class 3A. The L-FO Warriors, who had started the year with two straight losses, upset Gordon Lee 24-7. Sonoraville wins by more than 30.
Georgia School for the Deaf (0-1) at Carolinas School for the Deaf (0-0) (Saturday)
- Last Meeting: GSD defeated Carolinas 36-32 on October 1, 2016
- The GSD Tigers, playing in their first game of the 2017 season, hung in with powerful Louisiana School for the Deaf for much of Saturday afternoon before falling 20-12 to the War Eagles. Carolinas School for the Deaf still has yet to play a game after its season opener was canceled when Tennessee School for the Deaf opted not to play in 2017. Georgia School for the Deaf wins by 25.
Off this week: Class 4A Number 1 Cartersville (4-0), Cedartown (4-0), and Class 5A Number 1 Rome (3-0).
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- North Paulding (3-0) over Woodstock (2-1) by 3
- Class 6A Number 9 Douglas County (3-0, 1-0) over South Paulding (0-3, 0-1) by more than 30
- Dalton (2-1, 0-0) over Sprayberry (1-2, 0-0) by 28
- Class 5A Number 4 Carrollton (3-0, 0-0) over East Paulding (1-2, 1-0) by more than 30
- Class 5A Number 9 Kell (0-3, 0-1) over Paulding County (1-2, 1-0) by 29
- Heard County (3-1) over Central of Carrollton (2-1) by 13
- Chapel Hill (2-1) over Whitewater (2-1) by 2
- Class 4A Number 3 Sandy Creek (3-0) over Class 5A Number 8 Starrs Mill (3-0) by 1
- North Carolina Class 1A Number 2 Murphy (3-1) over Gilmer (0-3) by more than 30
- North Forsyth (2-1) over Pickens (2-1) by 4
- Southeast Whitfield (3-0) over Christian Heritage (0-2) by 17
- Class 3A Number 8 Bremen (3-0) over Murray County (2-1) by 28
- North Murray (1-2) over Haralson County (0-2) by 25
- Temple (3-0) over Mt. Vernon Presbyterian (3-0) by 4
- Mt. Zion (3-0, 0-0) over North Cobb Christian (1-2, 0-0) by more than 30
- Class A Private Number 8 Fellowship Christian (2-1, 0-1) over St. Francis (1-1, 0-0) by more than 30
- Class A Private Number 4 Mt. Paran Christian (2-1, 1-0) over Kings Ridge Christian (1-2, 0-1) by 1
- Pinecrest Academy (0-2, 0-0) over Walker (0-3, 0-1) by 12
- Whitefield Academy (1-2) over Calvary Christian (2-2) by 14