HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
Norman’s No-Nos: Will Irish eyes be smilin’ when the Bulldogs arrive? Will Georgia Tech be 0-2 after facing the surging Jax State Gamecocks? No, no. Click Arey
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: Berry hosts LaGrange on Saturday at 6 p.m. Schedule
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
Football: Shorter at Tusculum (Greeneville, Tenn.) on Saturday. Schedule
Georgia Bulldogs‘ football
Dawgs will go on the road to South Bend to face Notre Dame, Saturday at 7:30 p.m., NBC.
Tech hosts Jacksonville State, 12:30 p.m. Fox Sports South
‘Bama at home vs. Fresno State, Saturday at 3:30 p.m., ESPN2.
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
John McClellan’s high school picks: John McClellan’s high school picks: Five-point edge for Pepperell over Cedartown; Rome, Cartersville looking at double-digit wins. McClellan
Georgia High School Football Daily: Cartersville at Westlake, Kell at Rome among state’s top games this weekend. Thursday
Plus: Here are GHSF Daily’s choices for the best players in the history of the current Region 7-AA schools.
This week’s games:
- Cedartown (3-0) at Pepperell (1-1). WGAA 1340 AM
- Kell (0-2, 0-0) at Rome (2-0, 0-0). 99.5 FM The Jock
- Darlington (1-1) at Heard County (2-1) 1410 AM
- Northwest Whitfield (2-1) at Model (0-2)
- Coosa (2-0) at Mt. Zion (2-0)
- Armuchee (1-1) at Temple (2-0)
- Unity Christian School at Shiloh Hills Christian School (0-2)
- Woodland (1-1) at Cass (0-2)
- Cartersville (3-0) at Westlake (1-1) WBHF 100.3 FM and AM 1450.
- Bremen (2-0) at Trion (2-0)
- Chattooga (0-2) at Ridgeland (3-0)
- Sonoraville (2-0) at Dalton (1-1)
- LaFayette (1-2) at Gordon Central (0-2)
- Louisiana School for the Deaf (0-0) at Georgia School for the Deaf (0-0) (Saturday)
- Teams off this week: Adairsville (2-1), Class 3A Number 6 Calhoun (2-1), and Rockmart (1-2) are off this week.
The Falcons open regular season Sunday at 1 p.m. at Chicago. Fox TV. Click Falcons
Several of Rome YMCA’s Arsenal Select teams participated in pre-season tournaments the past few weeks. Most teams open up their regular season play this coming weekend.
- The B9 went to the NASA tournament 8/19 and came back with a 1-2 record. They dropped game 1 vs Concorde Boys Red 4-0. They came out strong but were unable to connect with goal. Grant Molnar and AG Edwards each had 5 saves in goal. They dropped game 2 with UFA Norcross Premier 7-1. The heat was brutal and got the better of the boys. Spencer Baker got the lone goal. Grant Molnar made 3 great saves in goal. Julio Cesar Cux had an amazing second half with 7 saves. They won game 3 with UFA Norcross Red 4-1. The boys came out really strong. Spencer Baker had two goals with an assist by AG Edwards. Nicholas Styperek and Bryant Abney each had 1. Saves came from Grant Molnar (5), Landon Thomason and Abney (2).
- The B11 went to the SSA Summer Classic. They tied AFC Lightning 2-2, lost to NASA 4-2, and tied GSA North 2-2.
- The B13 traveled to Gainesville over Labor Day weekend, to participate in the Publix Atlanta Cup tournament. On Saturday, the team lost to eventual tournament runner-up Decatur Wolves Elite 2-1. After Allen Garcia was fouled, Steven Villatoro scored the lone goal via PK. Goalkeeper Will Payne had 6 saves.
- They defeated the Chiefs FC White 7-1 Saturday PM. Link Lignell scored the 1st goal. Jacob Fisher was fouled and Isaiah Johnson scored the resulting PK. Cesar Perez sent a corner kick over to Maddox Pyle to score. Johnson also assisted Villatoro who scored again off a corner kick from Lignell. Perez and Johnson also scored unassisted goals. Goalkeeper Will Payne had 3 saves.
- On Sunday they lost to eventual tournament champion MOBA Peachtree City 3-0. Goalkeeper Will Payne had 8 saves for the game. They begin the fall select season next weekend with a home game against Warner Robins.
- The B14 went to the SSA Summer Classic. They beat Atlanta Fire Gold 3-2, lost to Atlanta Fire Elite 3-0, and beat SSA Chelsea 3-1.
- The B15 played in the Publix tournament. They lost to Chilpo 2-1, NASA Elite 1-0, and Decatur Wolves 3-1.
- The G16 Red played in the Publix tournament. On Saturday they beat the Tampa Dynamo Black 2-1 and tied eventual champion HCU Elite 5-5.
- The B19 played in the Publix tournament. They lost to West FLA Flames 7-0, Atlanta United 9-1, and eventual division champions CYSA Gunners 4-3.
- The Arsenal Academy teams traveled to Chattanooga this past weekend and posted an 8-8 record with CFCA.
- The G9 beat both CFCA North and CFCA South 4-2 with goals from Mary Silver, Sara Harris, Cecilia Baggett (3), Sarah Harris (2), and Caitlyn Aspera (2).
- The G10 beat North 6-5 with goals from Madeline Green (2), Raylee Potts (2), Peyton Barker, and Denisse Funez-Vela. They lost to South 8-0.
- The G11 lost to North 5-0 and South 2-1 with a goal from Sarah Ekey.
- The G12 lost to North 3-2 and South 2-1.
- The B9 beat North 9-1. Arsenal came out strong with 6 goals in the 1st half. They had goals from Spencer Baker (3), Andon Rosser (4), Grant Molnar and AG Edwards. Markus Price got an assist. In goal, Molnar had 2 saves and AG 1. The heat did not bother the boys as they took an immediate and impressive lead, which they held and almost had the shut out but North snuck one in at the beginning of the 2nd half. Against South they were tied 3-3 mid way through the first half, but found their footing and dominated the rest of the game to win 10-3. Goals came from Baker (3), Bryant Abney (2), Rosser, Price (2), and Edwards (3). Henry Rodriguez got an assist. Molnar had 1 save in goal, and Landon Thomason made an amazing save in defense.
- The B10 beat the North 9-4 with goals from Wallace Ordonez-Atjun (4), Cristian Perez (3), Spencer, and Abraham. Assists came from Wallace (2), Abraham (3), Perez, Spencer, and Saul Valerio. Jackson Faulkner and Roger Hartman made several saves in goal. After the boys went down to South in the second game 4-3, they put together two late goals to win 5-4. Scorers were Wallace, AG (2), and Abraham (2). Perez had 3 awesome assists. Big saves came from Roger and Jackson in goal who were defended by some huge tackles in the back from Saul, Peter, and Nehemias. AG’s winning goal came in the last minute.
- The B11 lost to North 10-0 and the Redoubt Generals 15-1.
- The B12 beat North 4-1 with goals from Matt Belteton, Daniel Segura, Greyson Perry (2 assists), and Gabriel Atkins. Jaden Wood had 2 assists. They lost to South 2-1 with a goal from Xchyler McDaniel (assist Matt Belteton).
- Compiled by Roy Dickinson
- Next game: 16th season opener on Thursday, April 5, vs. Hagerstown at State Mutual Stadium, 7 p.m.
- Mills Fitzner’s photo gallery for the 2017 season.