HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
Big honors for local players: Adam Anderson, a defensive end/linebaker at Rome High, and star quarterback Trevor Lawrence of Cartersville High both were named to the AJC Super 11 for 2017. It was the first for Cartersville since John McClain in 1990 and the first for Rome since Chris Hewitt in 1998. Read more about both student athletes here: AJC
AJC profile of Adam Anderson: Rome
AJC profile of Trevor Lawrence: Cartersville
Coming Monday: John McClellan’s first picks of the new season.
Your school-by-school look at the start of high school football season. Includes notes on upcoming events, scrimmages and the first official games of the season. Send updates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Armuchee: Opens Aug. 18 at LaFayette.
- Coosa: Hosts Coahulla Creek on Aug. 25.
- Darlington: Hosts Gaston, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Model: Hosts Sonoraville Aug. 25.
- Pepperell: At Ridgeland Aug. 25. Scrimmage Aug. 18 at Cass.
- Rome: Discount cards with proceeds helping the Rome Wolves football team now on sale; contact Chris and Sherri Cromer. Hosts Harrison Aug. 25. Radio: Rome football games will be broadcast on @ again this fall. Listen on 99.5 FM or online at 995thejock.com.
- Unity: Hosts Shiloh Hills Christian on Aug. 18.
- Cartersville: At Allatoona Aug. 18.
- Adairsville: Hosts Ridgeland Aug. 18. Hosts Cass Aug. 25.
- Cass: Scrimmage Aug. 18 hosting Pepperell. At Adairsville Aug. 25.
- Woodland: Hosts River Ridge Aug. 18.
- Calhoun: Hosts Douglas Aug. 18.
- Gordon Central: Hosts Murray County Aug. 18.
- Sonoraville: At Model Aug. 25
- Chattooga: Hosts Fort Payne, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Trion: Scrimmage Aug. 11 hosting Chattooga.
- Rockmart: At Cedartown on Aug. 18.
- Cedartown: Hosts Rockmart Aug. 18.
- Rome Braves sweep Greenville Drive in Saturday’s doubleheader with 2-0 and 4-0 wins. Greenville media release: Dominant pitching by the Rome Braves was the story of Saturday’s doubleheader at Fluor Field, as they posted a pair of shutout victories over the Greenville Drive to even the five-game series at two games apiece. Braves (25-22, 63-54) starter Jeremy Walker (5-11) set the tone in the opening game of the day, as he delivered a complete game shutout. He scattered five Drive (25-24, 66-52) hits over his seven innings while striking out five and only issuing one walk. The only runs of the opener came in the second inning, as Lucas Herbert cracked a solo homer leading off the frame against Jay Groome (3-5), and Kurt Hoekstra added a run-scoring fielder’s choice later on. Groome was solid in defeat, allowing just those two runs over five innings while striking out seven with no walks.
Santiago Espinal collected two hits in the opening game, and he notched three hits in total on Saturday. Game two saw more outstanding pitching on both sides, as the game was scoreless until the sixth inning. Anthony Concepcion was hit by a pitch to begin the inning, and after a Drive passed ball, Drew Lugbauer delivered an RBI single to put Rome ahead. Three more runs in the seventh allowed the Braves to pull away, with an RBI triple by Kevin Josephina serving as the highlight. Daniel Gonzalez (7-3) threw a complete game in the nightcap for the Drive, and he matched a career high with eight strikeouts in his seven innings. Ian Anderson, Walt Borkovich (1-0) and Thomas Burrows combined to hold Greenville to five hits in the second game.
- What’s next:. At Greenville, 4:05 p.m. start on Sunday.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates: none.
Falcons (0-1) preseason schedule: Aug. 20 at Steelers, Aug. 26 vs. Cardinals at home and Aug. 31 vs. Jaguars at home. Click Falcons
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: First game at Maryville on Sept. 2 at 1 p.m.
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
Football: First game vs. Mars Hill at Barron Stadium, 1 p.m. Sept. 2. Schedule
- Early registration discount: YMCA members $69; potential members, $109.
- A $10 regular registration increase applies after Aug. 22.
- Cost includes jersey, end of season award and end of season party as well as Georgia Soccer Association registration.
Lil’ Gunners fall preschool soccer: Classes focus on introducing soccer through outrageously fun games and activities. We help develop social, emotional, and cognitive skills while providing physical exercise and developing players who are good teammates – on and off the soccer field. Classes meet at Grizzard Park on Thursdays from 4:50-5:25 p.m. There is a maximum of 15 participants per class. Cost: $26 for Y members; $40 for nonmembers. Session 1: Sept. 7, 14, 21 and 28. Session 2: Oct. 12, 19, 26 and Nov. 2. Cost includes team shirt and medal.