HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
John McClellan: 2016 was a huge year for Northwest Georgia football teams; this season could be even better. High schools
This week’s scrimmages:
- Calhoun tops Northwest Whitfield, 17-7.
- Armuchee falls to Southeast Whitfield, 27-13.
- Pickens over Coosa, 14-0.
- Rockmart tops Darlington, 30-5.
- Cedartown over Model, 42-0.
- Paulding County tops Pepperell, 20-14.
- Rome tops Pebblebrook, 42-7.
- Cartersville over Westminster, 31-0.
- Woodland over Adairsville, 21-7.
- Gordon Central downed by Sonoraville, 28-0.
- Trion over Chattooga, 21-7.
Unity Christian v. Twiggs Academy at John Hancock Academy
Your school-by-school look at the start of high school football season. Includes notes on upcoming events, scrimmages and the first official games of the season. Send updates to email@example.com.
- Armuchee: Opens Aug. 18 at LaFayette.
- Coosa: Hosts Coahulla Creek on Aug. 25.
- Darlington: Hosts Gaston, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Model: Hosts Sonoraville Aug. 25.
- Pepperell: At Ridgeland Aug. 25. Scrimmage Aug. 18 at Cass.
- Rome: Discount cards with proceeds helping the Rome Wolves football team now on sale; contact Chris and Sherri Cromer. Hosts Harrison Aug. 25. Radio: Rome football games will be broadcast on @ again this fall. Listen on 99.5 FM or online at 995thejock.com.
- Unity: Hosts Shiloh Hills Christian on Aug. 18.
- Cartersville: At Allatoona Aug. 18.
- Adairsville: Hosts Ridgeland Aug. 18. Hosts Cass Aug. 25.
- Cass: Scrimmage Aug. 18 hosting Pepperell. At Adairsville Aug. 25.
- Woodland: Hosts River Ridge Aug. 18.
- Calhoun: Hosts Douglas Aug. 18.
- Gordon Central: Hosts Murray County Aug. 18.
- Sonoraville: At Model Aug. 25
- Chattooga: Hosts Fort Payne, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Trion: Scrimmage Aug. 11 hosting Chattooga.
- Rockmart: At Cedartown on Aug. 18.
- Cedartown: Hosts Rockmart Aug. 18.
- Rome Braves fall to Greenville, 1-0 in rain delayed game. Doubleheader postponed to today at 5:30 p.m. Greenville media release: For the second consecutive night, the Greenville Drive defeated the Rome Braves in walkoff fashion in extra innings. To surely nobody’s surprise, Roldani Baldwin delivered the game-winning hit as the Drive won a 1-0 pitcher’s duel. With the game scoreless in the bottom of the eighth in game one of the scheduled doubleheader, the Drive (25-22, 66-50) loaded the bases with one out. Santiago Espinal singled to begin the frame, and Brett Netzer drew a walk. Ryan Scott singled two batters later to set the stage for the pinch hitter Baldwin, who lined a single off Bladimir Matos (3-3) for his fourth walkoff hit of the season. Game two of the scheduled doubleheader was postponed due to inclement weather in the Greenville area, and the teams will now play a doubleheader on Saturday. Both pitching staffs were nothing short of outstanding on Friday, despite a one-hour, 37 minute delay to the start of the game. Greenville starter Darwinzon Hernandez set a career-high with six and one-third scoreless innings, and his eight strikeouts matched a season high. Robby Sexton (4-6) entered the game in the seventh for Greenville, and he struck out a pair of hitters to leave the bases loaded in the frame. He earned the win after firing a perfect top of the eighth as well. On the other side, Braves (23-22, 61-54) hurler Joey Wentz shut out the Drive over five and two-third innings while striking out eight hitters of his own. Espinal and Tyler Hill notched two hits apiece atop the Drive lineup. Saturday’s doubleheader at Fluor Field will begin at 5:30 PM, and both games are scheduled for seven innings. The opener will see Drive left-hander Jay Groome (3-4, 6.68) face off against Braves right-hander Jeremy Walker (4-11, 4.78), and in the nightcap, Drive right-hander Daniel Gonzalez (7-2, 3.15) will duel with Braves right-hander Ian Anderson (4-5, 3.29).
- What’s next:. At Greenville tonight through Sunday. Doubleheaded today at 5:30 p.m.; 4:05 p.m. start on Sunday.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates: The Rome Braves announce the following roster moves:
- RHP Matt Custred has been transferred to Danville
- RHP Walt Borkovich has been received from Danville
Falcons (0-1) preseason schedule: Aug. 20 at Steelers, Aug. 26 vs. Cardinals at home and Aug. 31 vs. Jaguars at home. Click Falcons
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: First game at Maryville on Sept. 2 at 1 p.m.
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
Football: First game vs. Mars Hill at Barron Stadium, 1 p.m. Sept. 2. Schedule
- Early registration discount: YMCA members $69; potential members, $109.
- A $10 regular registration increase applies after Aug. 22.
- Cost includes jersey, end of season award and end of season party as well as Georgia Soccer Association registration.
Lil’ Gunners fall preschool soccer: Classes focus on introducing soccer through outrageously fun games and activities. We help develop social, emotional, and cognitive skills while providing physical exercise and developing players who are good teammates – on and off the soccer field. Classes meet at Grizzard Park on Thursdays from 4:50-5:25 p.m. There is a maximum of 15 participants per class. Cost: $26 for Y members; $40 for nonmembers. Session 1: Sept. 7, 14, 21 and 28. Session 2: Oct. 12, 19, 26 and Nov. 2. Cost includes team shirt and medal.