HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
John McClellan: 2016 was a huge year for Northwest Georgia football teams; this season could be even better. High schools
Georgia High School Football Daily. Friday
This week’s scrimmages: Please note changes to the Armuchee, Cartersville and Calhoun games for this weekend (changed games in bold type).
Kickoff forecast: Probably 82 degrees with a 3-mph wind and a possibility of light rain, thunder.
- Calhoun at Northwest Whitfield (moves 7 tonight.
- Armuchee at Southeast Whitfield; game moved up to 7 p.m. because of weather threat.
- Pickens at Coosa, 7:30 p.m.
- Rockmart at Darlington, 7:30 p.m.
- Cedartown at Model. Live broadcast from WGAA 1340AM in Cedartown. Listen online at rdo.to/wgaa
- Paulding County hosts Pepperell, 7:30 p.m.
- Pebblebrook at Rome
- Cartersville will now host Westminster at home. Game time: 7:30 p.m. (reason: Westminster’s field was flooded by Wednesday’s rains in metro Atlanta).
- Woodland at Adairsville
- Gordon Central at Sonoraville
- Chattooga at Trion
Unity Christian v. Twiggs Academy at John Hancock Academy
Your school-by-school look at the start of high school football season. Includes notes on upcoming events, scrimmages and the first official games of the season. Send updates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Armuchee: Opens Aug. 18 at LaFayette.
- Coosa: Hosts Coahulla Creek on Aug. 25.
- Darlington: Hosts Gaston, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Model: Hosts Sonoraville Aug. 25.
- Pepperell: At Ridgeland Aug. 25. Scrimmage Aug. 18 at Cass.
- Rome: Discount cards with proceeds helping the Rome Wolves football team now on sale; contact Chris and Sherri Cromer. Hosts Harrison Aug. 25. Radio: Rome football games will be broadcast on @ again this fall. Listen on 99.5 FM or online at 995thejock.com.
- Unity: Hosts Shiloh Hills Christian on Aug. 18.
- Cartersville: At Allatoona Aug. 18.
- Adairsville: Hosts Ridgeland Aug. 18. Hosts Cass Aug. 25.
- Cass: Scrimmage Aug. 18 hosting Pepperell. At Adairsville Aug. 25.
- Woodland: Hosts River Ridge Aug. 18.
- Calhoun: Hosts Douglas Aug. 18.
- Gordon Central: Hosts Murray County Aug. 18.
- Sonoraville: At Model Aug. 25
- Chattooga: Hosts Fort Payne, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Trion: Scrimmage Aug. 11 hosting Chattooga.
- Rockmart: At Cedartown on Aug. 18.
- Cedartown: Hosts Rockmart Aug. 18.
- Rome Braves fall 3-2 in 16 innings to The Drive. Greenville media release: The Greenville Drive and Rome Braves played their second marathon game of the season on Thursday night at Fluor Field, but the Drive came out victorious on this night, as Bobby Dalbec cracked a walkoff homer leading off the bottom of the 16th to give the Drive a 3-2 win. Dalbec didn’t waste any time sending the home fans happy in the 16th, as he blasted Ryan Schlosser’s (0-3) first pitch of the frame 376 feet over the Green Monster. Both teams received herculean efforts from their bullpens on Thursday, as the score remained 2-2 from the sixth inning until the 16th. Tucker Tubbs (1-0) entered in from first base in the 14th inning for his fourth appearance of the season, and he fired three scoreless innings to get the win. The Drive (24-22, 65-50) bullpen totaled 10 1/3 scoreless innings in all, as Juan Florentino worked three and one-third frames, and he was followed byJared Oliver, who punched out six hitters in four innings. For the Braves (23-21, 61-53), Troy Conyers, Jon Kennedy, Matt Custred and Schlosser combined for nine scoreless innings until Dalbec’s home run. The Drive took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third when Santiago Espinal delivered an RBI single, his first of four hits on the night. Tubbs drove home a run with a single in the fourth to extend the lead off Tucker Davidson. Bryan Mata cruised through the first five innings for the Drive, but he ran into trouble in the sixth, and RBI singles by Drew Lugbauer and Carlos Martinez tied the game at two. Joining Espinal with multi-hit games for Greenville were Dalbec, Jerry Downs and Jagger Rusconi, who notched two hits apiece. Lugbauer went 4-6 to lead the way for Rome. Kevin Josephina collected three hits and was a homer shy of the cycle, while Martinez and Kurt Hoekstra added two hits apiece.
- What’s next:. At Greenville tonight through Sunday. 7:05 tonight, Saturday; 5:35 p.m. double header Friday; 4:05 p.m. start on Sunday.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates:
Falcons downed 23-20 by Dolphins in preseason opener. Falcons
Preseason schedule: Aug. 20 at Steelers, Aug. 26 vs. Cardinals at home and Aug. 31 vs. Jaguars at home. Click Falcons
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: First game at Maryville on Sept. 2 at 1 p.m.
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
Football: First game vs. Mars Hill at Barron Stadium, 1 p.m. Sept. 2. Schedule
- Early registration discount: YMCA members $69; potential members, $109.
- A $10 regular registration increase applies after Aug. 22.
- Cost includes jersey, end of season award and end of season party as well as Georgia Soccer Association registration.
Lil’ Gunners fall preschool soccer: Classes focus on introducing soccer through outrageously fun games and activities. We help develop social, emotional, and cognitive skills while providing physical exercise and developing players who are good teammates – on and off the soccer field. Classes meet at Grizzard Park on Thursdays from 4:50-5:25 p.m. There is a maximum of 15 participants per class. Cost: $26 for Y members; $40 for nonmembers. Session 1: Sept. 7, 14, 21 and 28. Session 2: Oct. 12, 19, 26 and Nov. 2. Cost includes team shirt and medal.