HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
John McClellan: 2016 was a huge year for Northwest Georgia football teams; this season could be even better. High schools
Georgia High School Football Daily. Thursday
This week’s scrimmages: Please note changes to the Armuchee, Cartersville and Calhoun games for this weekend (changed games in bold type).
- Calhoun at Northwest Whitfield (moves from tonight to 7 p.m. Friday).
- Armuchee at Southeast Whitfield; game moved up to 7 p.m. because of weather threat.
- Pickens at Coosa
- Rockmart at Darlington
- Cedartown at Model
- Paulding County at Pepperell
- Pebblebrook at Rome
- Cartersville will now host Westminster at home. Game time: 7:30 p.m. (reason: Westminster’s field was flooded by Wednesday’s rains in metro Atlanta).
- Woodland at Adairsville
- Gordon Central at Sonoraville
- Chattooga at Trion
Unity Christian v. Twiggs Academy at John Hancock Academy
Your school-by-school look at the start of high school football season. Includes notes on upcoming events, scrimmages and the first official games of the season. Send updates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Armuchee: Opens Aug. 18 at LaFayette.
- Coosa: Hosts Coahulla Creek on Aug. 25.
- Darlington: Hosts Gaston, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Model: Hosts Sonoraville Aug. 25.
- Pepperell: At Ridgeland Aug. 25. Scrimmage Aug. 18 at Cass.
- Rome: Discount cards with proceeds helping the Rome Wolves football team now on sale; contact Chris and Sherri Cromer. Hosts Harrison Aug. 25. Radio: Rome football games will be broadcast on @ again this fall. Listen on 99.5 FM or online at 995thejock.com.
- Unity: Hosts Shiloh Hills Christian on Aug. 18.
- Cartersville: At Allatoona Aug. 18.
- Adairsville: Hosts Ridgeland Aug. 18. Hosts Cass Aug. 25.
- Cass: Scrimmage Aug. 18 hosting Pepperell. At Adairsville Aug. 25.
- Woodland: Hosts River Ridge Aug. 18.
- Calhoun: Hosts Douglas Aug. 18.
- Gordon Central: Hosts Murray County Aug. 18.
- Sonoraville: At Model Aug. 25
- Chattooga: Hosts Fort Payne, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Trion: Scrimmage Aug. 11 hosting Chattooga.
- Rockmart: At Cedartown on Aug. 18.
- Cedartown: Hosts Rockmart Aug. 18.
- Rome Braves fall 4-1 to Greenjackets: Augusta media release: The GreenJackets pitching staff combined for fifteen strikeouts Wednesday night in a 4-1 victory in the rubber match of a three-game series with the Rome Braves at Lake Olmstead Stadium. With the victory, the GreenJackets completed the seven game homestand with a 5-2 record.Domenic Mazza led the way with eight strikeouts in his start for the GreenJackets. He allowed just one run off six hits in five and two thirds innings pitched. After the Braves got on the scoreboard in the sixth, Connor Kaden came out of the bullpen to finish the inning. He then came back out and shut out the Braves in the seventh and eighth striking out five. Patrick Ruotolo came on for the ninth and struck out two in a shutout inning to record his thirteenth save of the season.The GreenJackets got the offense going when Jose Vizcaino was hit by pitch with one out in the bottom of the second. Sandro Fabian singled to advance him to second. A wild pitch advanced them to second and third. Jacob Heyward grounded out to score Heyward and give the GreenJackets a 1-0 lead.
Jean Angomas led off the fourth inning with a triple and Skyler Ewing followed with a double to score him. Vizcaino singled to advance Ewing to third. Ewing scored when Fabian grounded into a double play making it 3-0 GreenJackets. With the GreenJackets leading 3-1 in the bottom of the sixth, Fabian drove in Angomas to make it 4-1 GreenJackets.
What’s next:. At Greenville tonight through Sunday. 7:05 tonight, Saturday; 5:35 p.m. double header Friday; 4:05 p.m. start on Sunday.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates: The Rome Braves announce the following roster moves:
- Left-hand pitchers Tucker Davidson and Troy Conyers have been received from Danville
- Right-hand pitcher Walt Borkovich and Left-hand pitcher Taylor Hyssong have been transferred to Danville
Preseason schedule: Tonight at Dolphins, 7 p.m., Channel 69. Next: Aug. 20 at Steelers, Aug. 26 vs. Cardinals at home and Aug. 31 vs. Jaguars at home. Click Falcons
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: First game at Maryville on Sept. 2 at 1 p.m.
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
Football: First game vs. Mars Hill at Barron Stadium, 1 p.m. Sept. 2. Schedule
- Early registration discount: YMCA members $69; potential members, $109.
- A $10 regular registration increase applies after Aug. 22.
- Cost includes jersey, end of season award and end of season party as well as Georgia Soccer Association registration.
Lil’ Gunners fall preschool soccer: Classes focus on introducing soccer through outrageously fun games and activities. We help develop social, emotional, and cognitive skills while providing physical exercise and developing players who are good teammates – on and off the soccer field. Classes meet at Grizzard Park on Thursdays from 4:50-5:25 p.m. There is a maximum of 15 participants per class. Cost: $26 for Y members; $40 for nonmembers. Session 1: Sept. 7, 14, 21 and 28. Session 2: Oct. 12, 19, 26 and Nov. 2. Cost includes team shirt and medal.