HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
John McClellan: 2016 was a huge year for Northwest Georgia football teams; this season could be even better. High schools
Georgia High School Football Daily. Preseason honors for Darlington’s Tijai Whatley. Wednesday
This week’s scrimmages: 2017 high school football schedule across Northwest Georgia. Click high school
Calhoun at Northwest Whitfield
- Armuchee at Southeast Whitfield; game moved up to 7 p.m. because of weather threat.
- Pickens at Coosa
- Rockmart at Darlington
- Cedartown at Model
- Paulding County at Pepperell
- Pebblebrook at Rome
- Cartersville at Westminster
- Woodland at Adairsville
- Gordon Central at Sonoraville
- Chattooga at Trion
Unity Christian v. Twiggs Academy at John Hancock Academy
Your school-by-school look at the start of high school football season. Includes notes on upcoming events, scrimmages and the first official games of the season. Send updates to email@example.com.
- Armuchee: Opens Aug. 18 at LaFayette.
- Coosa: Hosts Coahulla Creek on Aug. 25.
- Darlington: Hosts Gaston, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Model: Hosts Sonoraville Aug. 25.
- Pepperell: At Ridgeland Aug. 25. Scrimmage Aug. 18 at Cass.
- Rome: Discount cards with proceeds helping the Rome Wolves football team now on sale; contact Chris and Sherri Cromer. Hosts Harrison Aug. 25. Radio: Rome football games will be broadcast on @ again this fall. Listen on 99.5 FM or online at 995thejock.com.
- Unity: Hosts Shiloh Hills Christian on Aug. 18.
- Cartersville: At Allatoona Aug. 18.
- Adairsville: Hosts Ridgeland Aug. 18. Hosts Cass Aug. 25.
- Cass: Scrimmage Aug. 18 hosting Pepperell. At Adairsville Aug. 25.
- Woodland: Hosts River Ridge Aug. 18.
- Calhoun: Hosts Douglas Aug. 18.
- Gordon Central: Hosts Murray County Aug. 18.
- Sonoraville: At Model Aug. 25
- Chattooga: Hosts Fort Payne, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Trion: Scrimmage Aug. 11 hosting Chattooga.
- Rockmart: At Cedartown on Aug. 18.
- Cedartown: Hosts Rockmart Aug. 18.
- Rome Braves rebound, beat Greenjackets 4-0. Augusta media release: Tuesday night was a rough night for the GreenJackets offense as they were held to just five hits and were caught stealing on three different occasions in a 4-0 shutout loss to the Rome Braves at Lake Olmstead Stadium. A big reason why was the pitching performance of Braves starter Bryse Wilson who recorded his ninth win of the season. Wilson struck out eleven GreenJackets hitters in seven innings of work and walked only one. He allowed only four hits in his shutout performance. Matt Custred contributed a pair of shutout innings, striking out two and allowing one hit to close out the game. Melvin Adon retired the first six men he faced in his start for the GreenJackets. The Braves got going against him when Leudys Baez singled to lead off the third. With one out, Kevin Josephina advanced him to second with a single. Marcus Mooney followed with a single to load the bases. Adon then balked home Baez to put the Braves up 1-0. Ian Wilson singled home Josephina to make it 2-0 Braves. The Braves added an insurance run in the fifth and sixth inning of Adon who finished going seven innings and allowed four runs off eight hits, struck out six, and did not allow any walks. Sandro Cabrera pitched a pair of scoreless innings in relief to keep the GreenJackets within striking distance. The GreenJackets will be back in action Wednesday night for the final game of the three-game series with the Braves. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm with the gates opening at 6:00pm. It is Palmetto Community Night, Watering Hole Wednesday, and Baseball Bingo presented by Comfort Keepers, and Silver Jackets Wednesday presented by AARP, Brandon Wilde, Comfort Keepers, and Fleet Feet Sports.
- What’s next:. At Augusta tonight at 7 and then five games in Greenville including double header Friday.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates: The Rome Braves announce the following roster moves:
- Left-hand pitchers Tucker Davidson and Troy Conyers have been received from Danville
- Right-hand pitcher Walt Borkovich and Left-hand pitcher Taylor Hyssong have been transferred to Danville
Preseason schedule: Thursday at Dolphins, Aug. 20 at Steelers, Aug. 26 vs. Cardinals at home and Aug. 31 vs. Jaguars at home. Click Falcons
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: First game at Maryville on Sept. 2 at 1 p.m.
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
Shorter University names Kyle Longwill head coach of golf. Long comes to Shorter from Union University, where he volunteered as an assistant golf coach for the men’s and women’s golf teams. At Union, his responsibilities included scheduling practices and coaching during practice and tournament play. He also served as a member of the university’s campus safety staff. Expanded release
Football: First game vs. Mars Hill at Barron Stadium, 1 p.m. Sept. 2. Schedule
- Early registration discount: YMCA members $69; potential members, $109.
- A $10 regular registration increase applies after Aug. 22.
- Cost includes jersey, end of season award and end of season party as well as Georgia Soccer Association registration.
Lil’ Gunners fall preschool soccer: Classes focus on introducing soccer through outrageously fun games and activities. We help develop social, emotional, and cognitive skills while providing physical exercise and developing players who are good teammates – on and off the soccer field. Classes meet at Grizzard Park on Thursdays from 4:50-5:25 p.m. There is a maximum of 15 participants per class. Cost: $26 for Y members; $40 for nonmembers. Session 1: Sept. 7, 14, 21 and 28. Session 2: Oct. 12, 19, 26 and Nov. 2. Cost includes team shirt and medal.