HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
Norman Says, a quick take on today’s sports by Norman Arey:
“I was listening to one of the sports talk stations in Atlanta. You know, the ones with the grammatically-challenged hosts who blather on about nothing for hours. Anyway, this one special idiot was talking about how Georgia’s Kirby Smart seems kinder and more gentle this year than during his first campaign. I will tell you without reservation that Kirby Smart doesn’t need to be kinder and gentler. He needs to be mean as hell and not take anybody’s second best. Steve Spurrier used to ask, sarcastically, “Whatever happens to all those 4-star and 5-star players? They go to Athens and you never hear of them again.” Kirby was hired for who he is and if he changes, he’s not going to be as effective. By all reports, Georgia is getting great grades in recruiting. Smart needs to let them be heard from again.”
—Norman Says is an occasional opinion from veteran sports essayist Norman Arey. Norman’s No-Nos, his weekly locks to lose in college football, return soon to Hometown Headlines.
John McClellan: 2016 was a huge year for Northwest Georgia football teams; this season could be even better. High schools
Georgia High School Football Daily. Pepperell, Chattooga, Rockmart players on All-State preseason list. Tuesday
Tonight: The Watters Historical Preservation Society and Model High School will present ‘A Season to Remember’ in the Model High School auditorium beginning at 6:30 p.m. The public is cordially invited to attend. Admission is free.
This week’s scrimmages: 2017 high school football schedule across Northwest Georgia. Click high school
Calhoun at Northwest Whitfield
- Armuchee at Southeast Whitfield
- Pickens at Coosa
- Rockmart at Darlington
- Cedartown at Model
- Paulding County at Pepperell
- Pebblebrook at Rome
- Cartersville at Westminster
- Woodland at Adairsville
- Gordon Central at Sonoraville
- Chattooga at Trion
Unity Christian v. Twiggs Academy at John Hancock Academy
Your school-by-school look at the start of high school football season. Includes notes on upcoming events, scrimmages and the first official games of the season. Send updates to email@example.com.
- Armuchee: Opens Aug. 18 at LaFayette.
- Coosa: Hosts Coahulla Creek on Aug. 25.
- Darlington: Hosts Gaston, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Model: Hosts Sonoraville Aug. 25.
- Pepperell: At Ridgeland Aug. 25. Scrimmage Aug. 18 at Cass.
- Rome: Discount cards with proceeds helping the Rome Wolves football team now on sale; contact Chris and Sherri Cromer. Hosts Harrison Aug. 25. Radio: Rome football games will be broadcast on @ again this fall. Listen on 99.5 FM or online at 995thejock.com.
- Unity: Hosts Shiloh Hills Christian on Aug. 18.
- Cartersville: At Allatoona Aug. 18.
- Adairsville: Hosts Ridgeland Aug. 18. Hosts Cass Aug. 25.
- Cass: Scrimmage Aug. 18 hosting Pepperell. At Adairsville Aug. 25.
- Woodland: Hosts River Ridge Aug. 18.
- Calhoun: Hosts Douglas Aug. 18.
- Gordon Central: Hosts Murray County Aug. 18.
- Sonoraville: At Model Aug. 25
- Chattooga: Hosts Fort Payne, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Trion: Scrimmage Aug. 11 hosting Chattooga.
- Rockmart: At Cedartown on Aug. 18.
- Cedartown: Hosts Rockmart Aug. 18.
- Rome Braves‘ streak of wins ends at 11 as Greenjackets take game one, 6-2. Augusta media release: The GreenJackets scored a pair of runs in the fifth, sixth, and eighth innings on their way to a 6-2 victory over the Rome Braves Monday Night. It was the fourth win in the last five games for the GreenJackets. The victory also snapped the Braves’ 11-game winning streak. Trailing 2-0 with two outs and nobody on in the bottom of the fifth, Jean Angomas hit a single for the GreenJackets. Jose Vizcaino then reached first on a dropped third strike that would have ended the inning. A wild pitch advanced them to second and third. Sandro Fabian singled them home to tie the game at two.Carlos Garcia hit a two-run home run the following inning to give the GreenJackets a 4-2 lead. The GreenJackets continued to pile on when Jacob Heyward singled to lead off the eighth. Kelvin Beltrefollowed with a bunt single and advanced to second on a throwing error by Braves catcher Lucas Herbert, advancing Heyward to third. Will Albertson singled them home to make it 6-2 GreenJackets. After falling behind 2-0 in the first, Yordy Cabrera settled down and was dynamite for the rest of his five innings of work in his start for the GreenJackets. He gave up only two hits, both of which were in the first inning, and struck out five. D.J. Myers came on in relief to begin the sixth and was also lights out. He struck out four in his four innings of relief work, gave up two hits and did not allow any runs. The GreenJackets will be back in action Tuesday night for game two of the four-game series with the Braves. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm with the gates opening at 6:00pm. It is Columbia County Community Night as well as Tuesday Brewsday featuring half-price off all beverages. Melvin Adon (3-9, 3.71) will start on the mound for the GreenJackets against Bryse Wilson (8-5, 2.65) for the Braves.
- What’s next:. At Augusta, today-Wednesday and then five games in Greenville including double header Friday.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates:
Preseason schedule: Thursday at Dolphins, Aug. 20 at Steelers, Aug. 26 vs. Cardinals at home and Aug. 31 vs. Jaguars at home. Click Falcons
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: First game at Maryville on Sept. 2 at 1 p.m.
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
Football: First game vs. Mars Hill at Barron Stadium, 1 p.m. Sept. 2. Schedule
- Early registration discount: YMCA members $69; potential members, $109.
- A $10 regular registration increase applies after Aug. 22.
- Cost includes jersey, end of season award and end of season party as well as Georgia Soccer Association registration.
Lil’ Gunners fall preschool soccer: Classes focus on introducing soccer through outrageously fun games and activities. We help develop social, emotional, and cognitive skills while providing physical exercise and developing players who are good teammates – on and off the soccer field. Classes meet at Grizzard Park on Thursdays from 4:50-5:25 p.m. There is a maximum of 15 participants per class. Cost: $26 for Y members; $40 for nonmembers. Session 1: Sept. 7, 14, 21 and 28. Session 2: Oct. 12, 19, 26 and Nov. 2. Cost includes team shirt and medal.