HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
New-look Pepperell High football field: The above video is courtesy of Craig Ellison of Floyd County Schools (“Connor and I filming the progress of the upgrades to the PHS Football Field. Great job by everyone that is working hard to get it ready.”)
John McClellan: 2016 was a huge year for Northwest Georgia football teams; this season could be even better. High schools
Georgia High School Football Daily. Rome’s Anderson among the state’s top defensive linemen. Monday.
Tuesday: The Watters Historical Preservation Society and Model High School will present ‘A Season to Remember’ in the Model High School auditorium beginning at 6:30 p.m. The public is cordially invited to attend. Admission is free.
This week’s scrimmages: 2017 high school football schedule across Northwest Georgia. Click high school
Calhoun at Northwest Whitfield
- Armuchee at Southeast Whitfield
- Pickens at Coosa
- Rockmart at Darlington
- Cedartown at Model
- Paulding County at Pepperell
- Pebblebrook at Rome
- Cartersville at Westminster
- Woodland at Adairsville
- Gordon Central at Sonoraville
- Chattooga at Trion
Unity Christian v. Twiggs Academy at John Hancock Academy
Your school-by-school look at the start of high school football season. Includes notes on upcoming events, scrimmages and the first official games of the season. Send updates to email@example.com.
- Armuchee: Opens Aug. 18 at LaFayette.
- Coosa: Hosts Coahulla Creek on Aug. 25.
- Darlington: Hosts Gaston, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Model: Hosts Sonoraville Aug. 25.
- Pepperell: At Ridgeland Aug. 25. Scrimmage Aug. 18 at Cass.
- Rome: Discount cards with proceeds helping the Rome Wolves football team now on sale; contact Chris and Sherri Cromer. Hosts Harrison Aug. 25.
- Unity: Hosts Shiloh Hills Christian on Aug. 18.
- Cartersville: At Allatoona Aug. 18.
- Adairsville: Hosts Ridgeland Aug. 18. Hosts Cass Aug. 25.
- Cass: Scrimmage Aug. 18 hosting Pepperell. At Adairsville Aug. 25.
- Woodland: Hosts River Ridge Aug. 18.
- Calhoun: Hosts Douglas Aug. 18.
- Gordon Central: Hosts Murray County Aug. 18.
- Sonoraville: At Model Aug. 25
- Chattooga: Hosts Fort Payne, Ala., on Aug. 25.
- Trion: Scrimmage Aug. 11 hosting Chattooga.
- Rockmart: At Cedartown on Aug. 18.
- Cedartown: Hosts Rockmart Aug. 18.
- Rome Braves get record-tying 11th win Sunday; 3-2 over Asheville. Media release: The Rome Braves picked up their 11th straight victory, defeating the Asheville Tourists Sunday afternoon, 3-2 at State Mutual Stadium before 1,745 fans. The game was called after seven innings due to rain. The win ties the team record for consecutive wins. Rome broke the scoreboard first in the second inning when Bradley Keller notched an RBI double to give the Braves the early lead. The Braves added onto their lead in the third, after a RBI double by Drew Lugbauer and an RBI single by Leudys Baez plated two more runs to give Rome a 3-0 lead. Asheville was held in check until the seventh inning, when a Joel Diaz sacrifice fly and Jacob Bosiokovic RBI groundout cut the Braves lead to 3-2. Shortly afterwards, rain began to fall and the game was called after an hour and five minute delay, with the Braves claiming victory. Jeremy Walker pitched well for Rome, going seven innings, giving up two runs on six hits with five strikeouts. Walker (4-11) gets the win for Rome while Matt Dennis (6-3) takes the loss for Asheville.
- What’s next:. At Augusta, today-Wednesday and then five games in Greenville including double header Friday.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates: None.
- ‘Game Faces’ by Mills Fitzner:
Preseason schedule: Thursday at Dolphins, Aug. 20 at Steelers, Aug. 26 vs. Cardinals at home and Aug. 31 vs. Jaguars at home. Click Falcons
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: First game at Maryville on Sept. 2 at 1 p.m.
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
Football: First game vs. Mars Hill at Barron Stadium, 1 p.m. Sept. 2. Schedule
- Early registration discount: YMCA members $69; potential members, $109.
- A $10 regular registration increase applies after Aug. 22.
- Cost includes jersey, end of season award and end of season party as well as Georgia Soccer Association registration.
Lil’ Gunners fall preschool soccer: Classes focus on introducing soccer through outrageously fun games and activities. We help develop social, emotional, and cognitive skills while providing physical exercise and developing players who are good teammates – on and off the soccer field. Classes meet at Grizzard Park on Thursdays from 4:50-5:25 p.m. There is a maximum of 15 participants per class. Cost: $26 for Y members; $40 for nonmembers. Session 1: Sept. 7, 14, 21 and 28. Session 2: Oct. 12, 19, 26 and Nov. 2. Cost includes team shirt and medal.