HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS
- Rome Braves get 6-1 win over West Virginia on Sunday; series finale today at 1 p.m. Media release: Rome came out of the gate on fire and plated five runs in the first inning.
Lucas Herbert and Randy Ventura each had an RBI singles, Kurt Hoekstra added a two run single, and Jordan Rodgers doubled home a run for the 5-0 lead. West Virginia scored their only run of the afternoon in the second on Carlos Munoz’s RBI single for the 5-1 score. Rome added a run in the fifth and went on to win by the 6-1 final. Rome’s offense certainly was clicking on all cylinders but it was the pitching that stole the show. Starter Alan Rangel enjoyed a solid outing going six inning allowing six hits and one run. The bullpen of Kevin Matthews and Matt Custred had a good afternoon going three shutout innings allowing one hit and four strike outs. Rangel (1-2) gets the win while Blake Cederlind (2-3) takes the loss for West Virginia.
- What’s next: Home vs. West Virginia, 1 p.m. today.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates: None.
2017 Berry College football recruit dies in accident at High Falls in Northeast Alabama. Vikings
Closer look at the 2017 high school football schedule across Northwest Georgia. Click high school
Keep track of summer updates from area high school football teams with Twitter:
- Coosa: The Coosa Eagle Booster Club will meet tonight at 7. The board meeting begins at 6:30 p.m.
- Rockmart: “Welcome back (today)! The Journey continues at 7:30am. Aug 4th is around the corner. A lot of work a head of us to reach our goals!”
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: First game at Maryville on Sept. 2 at 1 p.m.
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
- Football: First game vs. Mars Hill at Barron Stadium, 1 p.m. Sept. 2. Schedule
-Overnight Camps: July 17-19: Position Skills Camp (designed for ALL levels, grades 5-12); July 20-22: Elite College Prep (designed for HIGH-level players wanting to play in college, limited to 30 participants)
The Coosa Volleyball team will host the Third Annual Camp Boom Volleyball Camp on July 10-12 each day from 9-11 a.m. The camp is for any student in upcoming grades 3rd-8th. Cost is $40, and includes a t-shirt and snacks each day. You may register on the first day of camp beginning at 8:30am. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Hann at firstname.lastname@example.org