HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS / CAMPS
The Rome Braves still have a shot at a first half title but it will be a fight. Through this morning, Rome was four games behind first-place Greenville and three games back from red hot Columbia. Rome has six home games this week including last-place Augusta starting tonight and no. 1 Greenville Friday through Sunday. The top teams in the South Atlantic League’s southern and northern divisions at the All-Star break (next Monday-Wednesday) get the first two spots in the September playoffs. The second season begins Thursday, June 22, in Augusta and ends Labor Day weekend.
Warriors take NBA crown for second time in three years. Golden State takes series with defending champion Cleveland four games to one, win Monday night, 129-120. Kevin Durant named MVP. NBA
- Rome Braves fall 7-0 to Tourists. Asheville media release: The Asheville Tourists were able to avoid being swept at home by the Rome Braves with an impressive 7-0 series finale victory on Monday evening. Antonio Santos worked a season-high 6.2 innings and Asheville’s offense gave him plenty of backing. The Tourists took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning on Colton Welker’s RBI double to left field. Asheville added two more in the third. Melendez doubled, stole third, and scored on a wild pitch. Later in the inning Vince Fernandez doubled home Welker to make it 3-0.
Carlos Herrera joined the party with a lead-off Home Run in the fifth. That began a lengthy inning where the Tourists plated two more runs of Rome’s starter Jeremy Walker. Asheville added their seventh run in the bottom of the eighth on a Jose Gomez RBI single to centerfield. The Tourists were led offensively by Welker. The third-baseman went 4-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored, and an RBI. It was Welker’s second four-hit game of the series. Melendez, Gomez, Fernandez, and Herrera all added a pair of hits to the output. Santos found his early season form and finished with eight strikeouts while scattering six hits. Kenny Oakley was first out of the bullpen and struck out four of the five batters he faced. Jared Gesell polished off the shutout with a scoreless ninth inning.
Next up: Home vs. Augusta at 7 tonight, 1 p.m. Wednesday and 7 p.m. Thursday. Greenville in town Friday-Sunday.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates: The Rome Braves announce the following roster moves:- Left-handed pitcher Jaret Hellinger has been transferred to Danville
– Left-handed pitcher Oriel Caicedo has been activated from the disabled list
Berry Vikings sports updates.
Football: First game at Maryville on Sept. 2 at 1 p.m.
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
- Football: First game vs. Mars Hill at Barron Stadium, 1 p.m. Sept. 2. Schedule
-June Camp: Begins Monday, June 19-23, 8:30 a.m.-noon.
Contact Scott McCreless at 706.346.6725 or Chase Watterson at 706.506.3562.
Overnight Camps: July 17-19: Position Skills Camp (designed for ALL levels, grades 5-12); July 20-22: Elite College Prep (designed for HIGH-level players wanting to play in college, limited to 30 participants)