HIGH SCHOOLS / ROME BRAVES / LOCAL COLLEGES / COMMUNITY EVENTS / CAMPS
The Rome YMCA’s Arsenal Select teams posted a 2-1-1 record this past weekend to bring their season record to 29-30-1. Several teams played in post season tournaments.
- The G10 played in the Academy Cup. On Saturday they lost to Savannah United 9-1 and Tophat Blue 10-1. Sunday they lost to the Dekalb YMCA Wolves 12-1.
- The G11 played in the GA Express Festival. They started with a 4-0 loss to Cobb YMCA Striker Blue. They then had to beat Peachtree City FC twice by the same 1-0 score to earn the right to face Cobb again in the final. They lost 4-1.
- The G14 D lost to third place GA Storm 3-1. Malone Christen got the goal to give her 7 for the season, second in the division. That gives them a 6-4-2 record to finish in sixth place.
- The G15 B beat seventh place GA Storm 3-2 to close out the season with a 4-4 record that has them in fourth place.
- The B9 played in the Academy Cup. On Saturday they lost to Buckhead YMCA Blue 9-1 and Dekalb YMCA Wolves 8-0. Sunday they lost to Cobb YMCA Strikers 9-2.
- The B13-III West closed out their regular season Friday night in Alpharetta tying 11th place Concorde Fire Central White 1-1 to finish in ninth place with a 2-7-2 record, out of the relegation zone.
- On Saturday they were in the Academy Cup. They finished second in Group A of the u12 boys 11v11 Blue bracket, with a tournament record of 1-1-1. In the 1st game on Saturday, they lost 6-1 to the eventual undefeated tournament champion Georgia Rush Blue. Steven Villatoro scored the lone goal, assisted by Tyler Garrett. Goalkeeper Will Payne had 3 saves. Kevin Espinoza had 1 save. In the 2nd game, they tied the Dekalb Wolves Elite team 0-0. Goalkeeper Kevin Espinoza had 4 saves, while Isaiah Johnson was credited with a defensive save. On Sunday they defeated the Roswell Santos Red 2-0. Goal scorers were Gavyn Williams and Tucker Wright. Goalkeepers Kevin Espinoza and Will Payne each had 1 save.
- The B14 II finished the season with a 5-5-1 record in fourth place by beating fifth-place Inter Atlanta 2-1. Last weekend they won their bracket in the Tennessee Invitational tournament in Nashville. On Saturday they beat the host TN Soccer Club Elite 4-0 and Memphis’s Midsouth FC 3-0. On Sunday they beat St. Louis’ Rush SC 9-0 to take the championship.
- The B17 II competed in the Atlanta Fire Select Elite Cup. On Saturday they beat the eventual champion Concorde Fire 2-1. Later that day they tied SSA Chelsea Elite 1-1 to make Sunday’s semifinal. In a 9am game they lost to the Atlanta Fire Elite Black 5-0.
- Compiled by Roy Dickinson
Berry women’s soccer signs 14 including Unity’s Hannah Eddins: Head women’s soccer coach Lorenzo Canalis has announced the 14 newcomers to the women’s soccer program for the upcoming fall season. “These talented individuals will join our 16 returning players this fall,” Canalis said. “We are looking forward to the challenge of molding our team to face stiff competition this upcoming season.” Brief bios on each of the newcomers can be found here.
Spring game schedule for this weekend:.
Rome plays North Paulding on the road, 7 p.m.
Model will play Darlington at Chris Hunter Stadium on Friday with kickoff at 7:30 p.m.
Chattooga: The spring game is Saturday vs. Lee (Huntsville) at Jacksonville State University, 2:15 p.m. EDT.
Pepperell High has opted for two scrimmages in August.
Cedartown High also is opting for two scrimmages in August.
- AAA bracket: Calhoun at North Hall series on Wednesday in the semi-finals.
- Rome Braves bounce back with 9-5 win; rematch with Intimidators at 10:30 this morning. Media release: The Rome Braves defeated the Kannapolis Intimidators 9-5 Monday Night at State Mutual Stadium before a crowd of 1,194. The Braves opened up the scoring in the third inning when Cristian Pache’s double plated two runs. The Braves added to their lead in the fifth with a five run inning, highlighted by a three run triple by Matt Gonzalez. The Intimidators came back to cut the lead in the top of the sixth when Antonio Rodriguez hit a three run double to make it a 7-3 game. The comeback continued for Kannapolis in the eighth after a Rodriguez RBI double and a wild pitch to score a run to cut the lead to three. However, it wasn’t enough as the Braves added one more in the bottom half on an RBI single by Randy Ventura to take the 9-5 victory. Ryan Lawlor had a solid day on the mound setting a career high with nine strikeouts while allowing no walks. Lawlor (3-0) earns the victory for Rome while Yosmer Solorzano (1-3) takes the loss for Kannapolis. Brandon White picks up his fourth save.
- Next up: 10:30 this morning; off Wednesday; Lexington Thursday-Sunday.
- Mills Fitzner’s home game photo gallery.
- Roster updates: The Rome Braves announce that left-hand pitchers Thomas Burrows and Tucker Davidson have been transferred to the Danville Braves of the Appalachian League. Rome receives lefty Jaret Hellinger and outfielder Justin Ellison from Danville. Ellison will wear no 5; Hellinger, no. 51. Also: infielder Derian Cruz has been transferred to extended spring training in Orlando and receive infielder Yeudi Grullon from extended spring. Grullon will wear no. 9. The roster is at 25 players
Berry Vikings sports updates.
After leading the Berry College softball team to a record-breaking season, Marie Collop, Kassie Howard, Sarah Moore and Brittany Ferrell have been selected to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-Region teams. Collop earned first-team recognition with teammates Kassie Howard and Sarah Moore earning second-team nods. Brittany Ferrell was selected to the third-team. Expanded release: Softball
Shorter Hawks sports updates.
The Jets have signed linebacker Jevaris Jones and released LB Austin Calitro. Jones, a product of Shorter University, was a tryout player at the Jets’ rookie minicamp. He tallied 106 tackles last season with 15 stops coming behind the line of scrimmage. He finished seven games with double-digits in tackles and was second in Division II with 80 solos. The 6’1”, 228-pounder also racked up 6.5 sacks and ranked sixth in DII with four forced fumbles. In school annals, the Griffin, GA native ranks fifth in tackles (235), fourth in tackles for loss (28.5) and fourth in sacks (12.5). From NY Jets / Shorter player bio
Georgia Highlands sports reports.
GHC Chargers Baseball will take on Columbia State in the first round of the district tourney on Wednesday at 11 a.m. at Dyersburg State in Tennessee. Chargers.
Georgia Northwestern Technical College sports updates.
On Saturday, the Salvation Army of Rome will have its Fourth Annual Run for the Homeless. This annual event will be held at Redmond Regional Medical Center and funds generated will support the Army’s Men and Women’s Shelter, which operates 365 days a year. The Women’s Auxiliary of The Salvation Army is excited to host the 4th Annual “Run for the Homeless” 5K and GoGo Mile Event to be held on Saturday, May 20th. We are partnering with Cycle Therapy to provide a first class running experience to all who participate. All proceeds will be used for the emergency homeless shelter needs here in Rome. We are asking for your support of this wonderful event! Register to Run for the Homeless by visiting SalvationArmyRome.org. Registration will begin at 7 a.m. and will end promptly at 7:45 a.m. the day of the race.
June 1: Setter/Hitter Clinic
June 1: Serving Clinic #1
June 2: Passing/Defense Clinic
June 2: Serving Clinic #2
July 6-8: All Skills Session #1 (all ages and skill levels)
July 25-27: All Skills Session #2 (all ages and skill levels)
July 17-19: Position Skills Camp (designed for ALL levels, grades 5-12)
July 20-22: Elite College Prep (designed for HIGH-level players wanting to play in college, limited to 30 participants)
Athletes can learn more and register on our camp website: www.berryvbcamps.com. You can also check out our camp Facebook page @berryvolleyball camps for pictures and videos from last summer.